Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake pedal sticks and i need to lift it with my foot to release it after use. Has anyone come across this problem and if so what is the remedy please?
Thank you.
Regards Alan

·
133 Posts
My brake pedal sticks and i need to lift it with my foot to release it after use. Has anyone come across this problem and if so what is the remedy please?
Thank you.
Regards Alan
The answer is a new brake pedal assembly, see my post " Brake pedal fault T3 Wierd symptoms ".

Derek

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
There was also a safety recall on the T3 involving the brake pedal circlip - I had my 2013 T3 checked and it was OK but other owners had it replaced

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. I also had mine checked last year when I had the recall notice but was ok then. Back to the dealer I guess.
Regards and thanks Alan

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2012 Touareg developed the sticking brake pedal problem back in March this year. It occurred only on a >50 mile run or in hot weather. The pedal did not return fully, and the car continued to brake for a few seconds before becoming normal again. Cutting a long story short, VW UK do not acknowledge that there is a generic problem (surprise!); Inchcape Swindon diagnosed seized front calipers and replaced calipers / pads; after this the problem remained but the dealer could not replicate the problem; the car was with the dealer for more than two weeks before I insisted that they change the brake pedal assembly; problem fixed instantly. Inchcape could get no help from VW UK, but went 50/50 with me on the cost. A different problem after the replacement pedal assembly - when holding car on the footbrake in stop/ start traffic, the pedal slowly travels almost to the floor - quite unnerving at first but it seems to be safe. Another visit to Inchcape - they agree with me that the travel is excessive, and we compared it with their 2017 demonstrator. However, they insist that replacement of the pedal assembly does not open up the system and the car is not due for a brake fluid change. They are submitting a report to VW; I'm not holding my breath for any help there!

I'm very grateful to those who input to the forum; without their help I would still be driving around with an undiagnosed sticking brake pedal.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
My 2012 Touareg developed the sticking brake pedal problem back in March this year. It occurred only on a >50 mile run or in hot weather. The pedal did not return fully, and the car continued to brake for a few seconds before becoming normal again. Cutting a long story short, VW UK do not acknowledge that there is a generic problem (surprise!); Inchcape Swindon diagnosed seized front calipers and replaced calipers / pads; after this the problem remained but the dealer could not replicate the problem; the car was with the dealer for more than two weeks before I insisted that they change the brake pedal assembly; problem fixed instantly. Inchcape could get no help from VW UK, but went 50/50 with me on the cost. A different problem after the replacement pedal assembly - when holding car on the footbrake in stop/ start traffic, the pedal slowly travels almost to the floor - quite unnerving at first but it seems to be safe. Another visit to Inchcape - they agree with me that the travel is excessive, and we compared it with their 2017 demonstrator. However, they insist that replacement of the pedal assembly does not open up the system and the car is not due for a brake fluid change. They are submitting a report to VW; I'm not holding my breath for any help there!

I'm very grateful to those who input to the forum; without their help I would still be driving around with an undiagnosed sticking brake pedal.
Very alarming - did they check the vacuum and master cylinder out ????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very alarming - did they check the vacuum and master cylinder out ????
No - said there was no need as they hadn't gone into the braking system itself - they are only reporting to VW. I am not happy about it, but will await VW response!

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
No - said there was no need as they hadn't gone into the braking system itself - they are only reporting to VW. I am not happy about it, but will await VW response!
Shocked at that response - if the pedal goes to the floor and fluid isn't leaking, it's usually a master cylinder fault. This is clearly a safety issue and should be sorted immediately.

As they changed the calipers and presumably topped up the brake fluid, they have surely been into the braking system and a quick fluid change would have revealed whether there was any air or moisture in the system

I'd be pressing them for some response from VW (but wouldn't hold my breath for anything constructive) and getting the car back in to the dealership for them to fix properly and permanently

As a matter of interest, have they been playing with the rear brakes as the EPB needs to be calibrated and reset correctly with VCDS I seem to recall

·
Mechanical Guru
2,890 Posts
Yet another story of amazing incompetence from a main dealer service department. In my day you would do your utmost to avoid a vehicle leaving the workshop in that condition.

Does it also happen when stationary, engine off? If so and there are no external leaks, fluid must be passing the seals of the master cylinder internally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Shocked at that response - if the pedal goes to the floor and fluid isn't leaking, it's usually a master cylinder fault. This is clearly a safety issue and should be sorted immediately.

As they changed the calipers and presumably topped up the brake fluid, they have surely been into the braking system and a quick fluid change would have revealed whether there was any air or moisture in the system

I'd be pressing them for some response from VW (but wouldn't hold my breath for anything constructive) and getting the car back in to the dealership for them to fix properly and permanently

As a matter of interest, have they been playing with the rear brakes as the EPB needs to be calibrated and reset correctly with VCDS I seem to recall
Thank you Cass for these comments. After the calipers & pads were replaced I found in the first of the hot weather that the brake pedal was still sticking and returned the car to Inchcape immediately. The problem of pedal sinking excessively was not there at that time. Inchcape then had the car for two weeks before deciding that they could not replicate the problem. I had to speak to senior management before we made any progress; eventually they agreed to replace the pedal assembly on a 50/50 basis. I do not know what they did in that two weeks, but it is clear that if the replacement of the pedal does not affect the braking system .... something else has! The 'sinking' problem was apparent on my first journey home from the dealer.

A small amount of give in the pedal whilst holding the car in a brief traffic halt is normal. The problem with my car is that the amount has significantly increased and occurs with only very light pressure on the pedal. Something has changed quite significantly. Inchcape's Master Technician / Technical Consultant was out with me in car yesterday and agreed that the movement is excessive. He was set to get the system bled until the mechanic who replaced the pedal assembly insisted that the system had not been opened up. The report went to VW UK yesterday, and I was told to expect a response in 24/48 hours.

This experience leaves me wishing that I had the skills to do the job myself. It is a pretty poor state of affairs when the manufacturer and their main dealers are respectively unwilling and incapable. I will post the VW response when it arrives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yet another story of amazing incompetence from a main dealer service department. In my day you would do your utmost to avoid a vehicle leaving the workshop in that condition.

Does it also happen when stationary, engine off? If so and there are no external leaks, fluid must be passing the seals of the master cylinder internally.
Thanks Chaser. The amount of 'give' in the pedal when stationary and engine off is what I would consider normal, and the performance of the brakes when moving on road is 100%.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,890 Posts
Thanks Chaser. The amount of 'give' in the pedal when stationary and engine off is what I would consider normal, and the performance of the brakes when moving on road is 100%.
Okay....if the pedal doesn't sink even when pressure is held for a prolonged period that suggests the master cylinder is fine. There could still be air in the system.

Question..... were the discs replaced at the same time as calipers and pads? New pads on worn discs can cause excess pedal travel until they wear into the uneven disc surface.

Check for a radius of wear on the inner edge of the discs braking surface. This radius holds the pad back from the disc causing the extra pedal travel.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
So they have stiffed you for caliper replacement that was entirely uneccessary, and you had to pay for this?
I think i would be seeking 100% reimbursement for that for a start.
Did they give back you the old calipers? Probably on ebay now.
I cannot believe how many times I read on here about dealers fault finding by trial and error without any coherent or logical diagnosis, and the customer pays for their incompetence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay....if the pedal doesn't sink even when pressure is held for a prolonged period that suggests the master cylinder is fine. There could still be air in the system.

Question..... were the discs replaced at the same time as calipers and pads? New pads on worn discs can cause excess pedal travel until they wear into the uneven disc surface.

Check for a radius of wear on the inner edge of the discs braking surface. This radius holds the pad back from the disc causing the extra pedal travel.
Thanks for that. I think you've nailed the problem. The discs were not changed as the dealer said it was unnecessary. I just checked and there is indeed a lip on the discs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So they have stiffed you for caliper replacement that was entirely uneccessary, and you had to pay for this?
I think i would be seeking 100% reimbursement for that for a start.
Did they give back you the old calipers? Probably on ebay now.
I cannot believe how many times I read on here about dealers fault finding by trial and error without any coherent or logical diagnosis, and the customer pays for their incompetence.
I have had a conversation about the cost of the calipers & pads. I suspect that is why they volunteered 50% of the cost of the replacement pedal assembly. Couldn't agree with you more about the diagnostic process, but I don't have (or at least didn't have!) sufficient knowledge of the subject to to be able to argue with them. I have a little sympathy for the dealer - VW don't appear to share negative findings re their vehicles until it's undeniable and out in the open. They must be well aware of the sticking brake pedal problem - but they told the dealer there were no reports. All down to lousy senior management I'm afraid.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,890 Posts
Thanks for that. I think you've nailed the problem. The discs were not changed as the dealer said it was unnecessary. I just checked and there is indeed a lip on the discs.
If that really is the cause it will correct itself as the pads wear. New discs is the proper remedy though. VW guidelines state discs are required if there is a 2 mm reduction in thickness, i.e., 1 mm from each side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If that really is the cause it will correct itself as the pads wear. New discs is the proper remedy though. VW guidelines state discs are required if there is a 2 mm reduction in thickness, i.e., 1 mm from each side.
Thanks very much for your help. I've just heard from the dealer - VW UK had nothing to contribute re this problem. The dealer insists that the pads should have bedded in within 20-30 miles (i.e. some time ago), and will do a fluid change FOC in a week's time if there is no change.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Thanks very much for your help. I've just heard from the dealer - VW UK had nothing to contribute re this problem. The dealer insists that the pads should have bedded in within 20-30 miles (i.e. some time ago), and will do a fluid change FOC in a week's time if there is no change.
Get them to make sure that the thickness of the disc is within tolerances and consider having them skimmed if appropriate

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
With only 1mm wear each side, I doubt there is enough meat to be able to skim.

When all this is sorted I think the OP should ask for appropriate refunds for repairs and replacements that were clearly not required, and do an on line county court claim if they are not forthcoming.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,890 Posts
The dealer insists that the pads should have bedded in within 20-30 miles (i.e. some time ago)
Not the case with the issue I'm talking about. However they have seen the discs and presumably they are satisfied they're not the cause.
Having a fluid change will hopefully fix it or at least eliminate another suspicion.

Their comment is a silly sweeping statement that shows inexperience. Unless they do it before releasing the car bedding in brakes is dependant on many factors they can't know!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts