Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

Brake fluid change

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nige 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone changed their own brake fluid, from a quick read of Elsa online. ElsaWin. ElsaWeb. VWChanging brake fluid

There's nothing untoward there, interestingly the first bit which tells you to cut two tabs to access the fluid reservoir hasn't been done on mine (despite having paid my local dealer to this in the past, is there another way to access this or has it just not been done?)

Planning to do it when the weather warms up as I'll be taking the winter wheels off so access will be easy.

Cheers

Rob

#2 ·
It is possible the stealership removed the complete scuttle panel to access the resevoir and at the same time clear out the scuttle drains ? that would explain the "tabs" not being cut or more likely they just didn't bother !!

The main thing to ensure if you're going to replace the fluid yourself is that you make sure the resevoir never runs out of fluid as if you let any air get into the ABS module you'll need diagnostic (VCDS) to put the ABS unit into service mode to get any air out of the unit.

#3 ·
1st change is due at three years, thereafter every two years.

#4 ·
Removing the whole thing would be the other option, which I think requires removal of the wiper arm, given dealers like for doing things quickly I'm leaning towards it not being done (which is frustrating to put it lightly). Good point re letting it run dry, I have a pressure bleeder so will keep it well filled.

#6 ·
given dealers like for doing things quickly I'm leaning towards it not being done (which is frustrating to put it lightly).
Unless you put "witness" paint on the bleed nipples you would never know if they had actually replaced the fluid, as a glance into the resevoir you'd still see clean fluid, So yeah I'd put money on it that they charged you for a service that wasn't done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.