Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have just had my car in VW to replace a Brake Pressure sensor. The warning message I was getting was Brake Assist Workshop. I got the car back but still had the same warning on the MFI. I ran VAG-Com on it and it came up with

"1 Fault Found:
01673 - Potentiometer for Diaphragm Position in Brake Booster
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit"

Does anybody know what this error is, I really want to be pre-armed when dealing with VW. I know it didn't have this error when it went in. Could this be something that has been caused by VW incorrectly diagnosing the error in the first place or something they have caused by their repair. Any opinions welcome.

Thanks

·
83 Posts
Hi

I have just had my car in VW to replace a Brake Pressure sensor. The warning message I was getting was Brake Assist Workshop. I got the car back but still had the same warning on the MFI. I ran VAG-Com on it and it came up with

"1 Fault Found:
01673 - Potentiometer for Diaphragm Position in Brake Booster
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit"

Does anybody know what this error is, I really want to be pre-armed when dealing with VW. I know it didn't have this error when it went in. Could this be something that has been caused by VW incorrectly diagnosing the error in the first place or something they have caused by their repair. Any opinions welcome.

Thanks
Sorry don't know the answer but I have got the same warning message. It had it's service this week and VW said it needs a new ABS unit at £1400 + fitting! I think I need to investigate more aswell.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
I think there is a well known problem with VW ABS units.

It might be worth searching around a bit.

Try Honest John, Daily Telegraph, for one.

I think he has reported VW making contributions if the car is out of warranty but has been maintained by their franchised dealers.

I think there was also one of his answers about get units refurbed a lot cheaper that VW replacements. Again you'll need to do some digging.

·
1,307 Posts
this sounds very similar to a problem with the Land rover Discovery. when the ABS unit went funny you used to get what they called the 3 amigos appearing. abs, traction and brake warning lights all on the dash. the usual solution was as per this buying a new abs block, but what they didn't like to tell you was that there is a repair kit with a new rubber diaphram and it was about £20 for the kit.... big difference.

there are usually abs blocks on ebay fairly cheap, maybe worth a look.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys

Thanks for the advice, I have spoke to VW and they say they need it in for 2 days for "Investigation", I suspect they know what is wrong with it already. I have had Warranty Direct cover the cost of the sensor, I suspect they will have a hard time coughing up more cash if the work wasn't required and it needed a new ABS module. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

·
372 Posts
Sorry don't know the answer but I have got the same warning message. It had it's service this week and VW said it needs a new ABS unit at £1400 + fitting! I think I need to investigate more aswell.
I had the same warning on my Treg too and was told the ABS unit needed replaced at a cost of £1400 + labour. A bit more investigation and the fault turned out to be the Brake pressure sensor that is mounted on the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir. Cost of part? £80 from VW. Labour? £150ish at my friendly and trusted spanner monkey's workshop.

VW seem to blame the most expensive part they can think of, replace it and hope for the best.

I'd start with the brake pressure sensor.

·
372 Posts
This is the little bugger in question -

And here you can just about see him snuggled up in his new home-

·
372 Posts
Hi Knb

Do you know if this is an easy fix?

thanks
Actually replacing the sensor is an easy enough job. The hard part is actually getting to it. The brake fluid reservoir is situated in the drivers side bulkhead. To access it you need to remove the wipers and plastic scuttle panel to remove the bottle. Or, in the case of my car where the drivers side wiper would not come off, all the ancillaries on that side of the engine had to be striped out to allow a section of the bulkhead to be unbolted. Once the sensor is fitted all fault codes need to be erased and my spanner monkey also had a brake force test done too. In all my car was in for a day and a half (more due to the problems with the wiper) and I was charged £350. That price was for labour, the sensor, new brake pads on the front and labour.

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually replacing the sensor is an easy enough job. The hard part is actually getting to it. The brake fluid reservoir is situated in the drivers side bulkhead. To access it you need to remove the wipers and plastic scuttle panel to remove the bottle. Or, in the case of my car where the drivers side wiper would not come off, all the ancillaries on that side of the engine had to be striped out to allow a section of the bulkhead to be unbolted. Once the sensor is fitted all fault codes need to be erased and my spanner monkey also had a brake force test done too. In all my car was in for a day and a half (more due to the problems with the wiper) and I was charged £350. That price was for labour, the sensor, new brake pads on the front and labour.
Thanks for that, it sounds like the garage have already done similar work when replacing the Brake Boost sensor, pity they didn't check and do this at the same time!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Where did you have this work done? Looking for a trusted mechanic that knows Tregs, just in case.

·
372 Posts
Where did you have this work done? Looking for a trusted mechanic that knows Tregs, just in case.
I'm in Bangor, N.Ireland so probably no use to you, but I recommend my mechanic to everyone I can and a lot of workmates and family now use him. If you are in N.I I'll pass on his name and number to you, no probs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts