Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to go to shops this morning and found a large clunk coming from the front o/side of car followed by brake assist workshop, ESP,ABS lights coming on....
i drove the car 1 mile or so and found the front o/side brake caliper was sticking on, back wheels were spinning at first trying to push stuck front wheel, to say the least i wsas a little worried....managed to nurse the car home with a slightly smoking front brake...
called VW for advice, Vw said they could only have a look at it once i got it in thier garage and asdvised me not to drive (almost impossible to drive anyway)....so i decided to call the AA out and get my moneys worth homestart relay etc...

the aa was out within an hour and surprise surprise all warning lights vanished!!!, we took car for test and brakes were fine, even put car in neutral whilst driving and car rooled along as normal....took temperature readings from all 4 discs with temp gun and all the same roughly.

i couldnt believe it at first but what the AA man asked ishave i washed it recently, which i had done yesterday,,,,he reckoned that because they are floating calipers that a layer of water got between the pad/disc and rusted them together which explaines the loudclunk at first then once brakes used and pumped the caliper frred off with the pad and basically fixed itself....all liughts reste after system seemed healthy...

as im now out of warranty i was fearing the worst, hopefully im safe for now, think i will go to VW and get brakes checxked anyways....

thinking about upgrading aa membership to include parts and labour cover for ?50 per year instaead of buying extended warranty, they pay up to ?500 for any repair up to 3 x times per year and only ?25 excess each time, covers all items except brake pads and tyres.......seems more finiancially viable than ?300-?400 per year for warranty?....

1 - 1 of 1 Posts