Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this happen before? I have an 08 3.0tdiSE with 8000 miles. I did my normal journey to work, 20 miles, on a frosty morning this week and when i pulled into the car park steam was coming through the front grille as if the radiator was punctured and there was a gurgling sound. I called out Roadside Assistance who pressure checked the rad and looked for leaks but nothing, the levels were ok. The temp gauge in the car showed normal and no warning lights came on. The techy said the air con may have discharged its gas and I should keep an eye on how it functions but as it is still quite cool outside it is hard to tell. Any thoughts????
Waggers

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Aircon.

Had the same thing happen on a 7 series Beemer and BMW even replaced the radiator first before realising there was a hole in the aircon condenser. Thankfully the car was under warranty so I didn't pay a penny!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Exactly the same thing has happened to me twice, 60 to 70 mile run, pull in at my (now very) usual petrol station to feed the beast and had clouds of "steam" coming from the front grille. I thought that maybe it's water, well slush and snow yesterday, getting through the grille and cooking off on the hot radiator and maybe an oil cooler??

I'm not losing water at any rate.

I never switch on the aircon, but what do you think, get the aircon checked out? Could it still leak if it's not used?

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
I never switch on the aircon, but what do you think, get the aircon checked out? Could it still leak if it's not used?
Yes get it checked out. Also you should use the Aircon at least every week to ensure that the seals in the system get lubricated - they will dry out otherwise and leaks will occur

I just leave mine on all the time.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Exactly the same thing has happened to me twice, 60 to 70 mile run, pull in at my (now very) usual petrol station to feed the beast and had clouds of "steam" coming from the front grille. I thought that maybe it's water, well slush and snow yesterday, getting through the grille and cooking off on the hot radiator and maybe an oil cooler??

I'm not losing water at any rate.

As above, use the aircon for at least 10 minutes a week otherwise the lubricating oil that is carried in the refrigerant gas does not move around to lubricate the system, seals dry, and expense is incurred.

·
Registered
599 Posts
All good advice, (ex transport ref and vehicle ac engineer) and it's very true that without regular use, the refrigerant in your car systems will leak. Only the one seal needs lubrication though, the carbon shaft seal inside the compressor. It relies on being absorbed in oil to expand and seal.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Thanks for that. I shall only mention seal in the singular in future!

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
Thanks for that. I shall only mention seal in the singular in future!
You removing one finger from Winston then Nooby

·
Registered
599 Posts
Has anyone had this happen before? I have an 08 3.0tdiSE with 8000 miles. I did my normal journey to work, 20 miles, on a frosty morning this week and when i pulled into the car park steam was coming through the front grille as if the radiator was punctured and there was a gurgling sound. I called out Roadside Assistance who pressure checked the rad and looked for leaks but nothing, the levels were ok. The temp gauge in the car showed normal and no warning lights came on. The techy said the air con may have discharged its gas and I should keep an eye on how it functions but as it is still quite cool outside it is hard to tell. Any thoughts????
Waggers
If all of your refrigerant has leaked out, the tri pressure switch in the system should go open circuit to prevent the compressor clutch pulling in. This will record a fault on vcds
A quick test at this time of year... run the heating on full and get the cabin nice and hot, then go the other way and set to cool with the ac on (Auto) Open the bonnet and find the suction (low side) of the ac system which is the larger of the two pipes to your compressor. If the ac is running correctly with good pressures, this pipe will feel ice cold.

If you are in any doubt, you'll need an ac engineer to fit a manifold gauge to determine the volume (if any) of the gas in your system. If it's low on charge then it'll be a pressure test and any leak rectified before vac and regas

A good tip is to contact a sole trader air con engineer in your local area. Most carry the car adaptors for fitting the manifold gauges and a bottle of 134a and will charge much less than a dealer to check your car for you. I used to do pressure test, vac out and recharges for £40, it was a good way to earn a bit of cash-in-hand/weekend beer tokens

1 - 10 of 10 Posts