Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VW Touareg 7P. The fan will come on for about 30 secs and then stop. I have removed the fan to the bench. It has a built in resistor and 3 wires feeding the fan. One is 12v permanent, one is earth and the 3rd is I think a pulse width signal which determines the fan speed.

Does anyone know how I can test the fan on the bench. fault code 0258 control module for air blower. B10BB 04 Internal system fault.

I have found out that I can run the fan on speed 4 indefinitely but when it goes to 5, 6 or 7 it will cut out.

Given a new fan is £350 from VW and there appears to be no aftermarket fans available, I was wondering whether anyone can advise me how to test the fan on the bench, so I don't waste money on replacing a fan when the dash control unit is at fault.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a VW Touareg 7P. The fan will come on for about 30 secs and then stop. I have removed the fan to the bench. It has a built in resistor and 3 wires feeding the fan. One is 12v permanent, one is earth and the 3rd is I think a pulse width signal which determines the fan speed.

Does anyone know how I can test the fan on the bench. fault code 0258 control module for air blower. B10BB 04 Internal system fault.

I have found out that I can run the fan on speed 4 indefinitely but when it goes to 5, 6 or 7 it will cut out.

Given a new fan is £350 from VW and there appears to be no aftermarket fans available, I was wondering whether anyone can advise me how to test the fan on the bench, so I don't waste money on replacing a fan when the dash control unit is at fault.
I had same problem.I had to buy new blower motor unit(autodoc) and then use resistor from new unit and swap it with faulty one.hope this will help

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
The fans are handed so make sure that you buy the correct one for a right hand drive car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was on the understanding that the fan did not have a resistor. Instead of using a resistor to vary the speed, it uses a PWM, pulse width modulation signal to vary the speed. This is none by increasing or decreasing frequency of the signal. Please comment if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

·
Registered
230 Posts
the resistor is same for both,but its immposible to buy resistor on its own
On the 7P fan there is no attached resistor pack like other models, the fan speed is as the OP said controlled by a PWW signal from the heater control panel

Reactions: shabazmo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts