Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to this day. At 1800kg MTPLM, as an inexperienced tower, I found our caravan was a little heavy to be comfortable for our Volvo XC70 (well, me really 馃榿). Couldn鈥檛 afford a late reg Discovery, so went for our Treg.

Well today, our towbar gets fitted, and I鈥檓 about to see if all the hassle has been worth it. Gone for a Westfalia Vertical Fitting Detachable, plus vehicle specific electrical connection kit and software coding. That鈥檒l have most bases covered I think, apart from possible cooling fan which I鈥檝e read about. Must admit I think I鈥檒l play that one by ear for a while.

All the specs say that the Treg will be much more suitable for our van; any issues from now on will be down to me probably. Have to say my reversing of an 8m long van is crap still, thank heavens for motor movers 馃榿

Registered
Looking forward to this day. At 1800kg MTPLM, as an inexperienced tower, I found our caravan was a little heavy to be comfortable for our Volvo XC70 (well, me really 馃榿). Couldn鈥檛 afford a late reg Discovery, so went for our Treg.

Well today, our towbar gets fitted, and I鈥檓 about to see if all the hassle has been worth it. Gone for a Westfalia Vertical Fitting Detachable, plus vehicle specific electrical connection kit and software coding. That鈥檒l have most bases covered I think, apart from possible cooling fan which I鈥檝e read about. Must admit I think I鈥檒l play that one by ear for a while.

All the specs say that the Treg will be much more suitable for our van; any issues from now on will be down to me probably. Have to say my reversing of an 8m long van is crap still, thank heavens for motor movers 馃榿
Have you spec鈥檇 a fridge feed as part of the fitting?

Chairman
Let us know how you get on.

Find an industrial estate that's vacant on a Sunday morning and practice your reversing for an hour or two!

A couple of traffic cones might help too (or use the wife and kids).

Reactions: Iain_L

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, specifically specified that thanks, having read here that some have ended up with no fridge power.
Oops, a bit of an alliteration there. Can鈥檛 exactly unspecifically specify something can I馃槀馃槀馃槀

Chairman
Full marks for grammar!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that鈥檚 it fitted, all the electrics seem to work fine, and the car is back together again. Looks like a very neat and tidy job done. One thing that does surprise me is that the towbar doesn鈥檛 appear to have a mount for the breakaway cable, so it鈥檚 back to looping the cable over the detachable towball. Will go and have a crawl around again just to check.

About to start with the emery paper to get the lovely shiny paint of the towbar.

Hard to justify just going out for a drive at the moment given the price of diesel here, but I鈥檒l use it as an excuse to go and practice my reversing 馃槀

Chairman
When you've hooked the 'van up and plugged it in lock the car and then then unplug it.....

Lifelong Motorhead
Well, that鈥檚 it fitted, all the electrics seem to work fine, and the car is back together again. Looks like a very neat and tidy job done. One thing that does surprise me is that the towbar doesn鈥檛 appear to have a mount for the breakaway cable, so it鈥檚 back to looping the cable over the detachable towball. Will go and have a crawl around again just to check.

About to start with the emery paper to get the lovely shiny paint of the towbar.

Hard to justify just going out for a drive at the moment given the price of diesel here, but I鈥檒l use it as an excuse to go and practice my reversing 馃槀
The legal requirement for a loop for the breakaway cable didn't come in until part way through 2016 and presumably wasn't retrospective - might be worth querying it with the installer though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The legal requirement for a loop for the breakaway cable didn't come in until part way through 2016 and presumably wasn't retrospective - might be worth querying it with the installer though.
Thanks, I asked him and he said there wasn鈥檛 one. I have sent a message off to Westfalia to check.

Lifelong Motorhead
Westfalia bars don鈥檛 have a breakaway connection
They should for the latest cars as it's a Type Approval requirement since 2017 model year - the VW factory-fit electrically-deployable towbar didn't get one until 2017 model year - left right to the last day for some reason.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Westfalia bars don鈥檛 have a breakaway connection
That鈥檚 interesting as Westfalia say that towbars approved to ECE R55 should have a safety eyelet for breakaway cable connection, and under their Warranty it says all their towbars comply with Rule 55.

Chairman

Chairman
If it doesn't go off then it's not been coded for the full Monty!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts