Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Looking to upgrade to a Gen 2 Treg with air suspension. Seems like most available 2012-2016 cars have 20" wheels. I will be towing a caravan. Just wondering that 20" wheels will have lower profile tyres therefore making less cushioned ride.

·
Super Moderator
16,075 Posts
20” with Air Susp is a great ride 👍

·
Chairman
20,402 Posts
18s.
Buy 5 wheels and rotate to keep the tread depth within 2 mm all round.
Buy tyres that you can easily get replacements for in out of the way places down under.
And read all the wheels and tyres threads in the Oz section of clubtouareg as previously advised!

·
Super Moderator
16,075 Posts
Is that a comparison opinion?
It’s what I have on my 2013 R-Line. I only tow 2 x EMTB on a towbar mounted bike carrier but the ride is excellent. You can choose between 3 damper settings - Comfort/Normal/Sport 👍

·
Lifelong Motorhead
3,081 Posts
Is that a comparison opinion?
I have 19" on air suspension - the ride is excellent using Comfort most of the time with Sport on motorways and hooligan drives - for about 5 years I used 17" with winter tyres and the comfort was even better - my experience confirms that the smaller the rim, with corresponding higher sidewall then the better the ride/comfort..

When I had a Touareg with 20" wheels as a courtesy car, the rim edge got little or no protection from the tyres and far too easy to kerb the rims - oh, yes and the ride was harsh but it was on steel springs.

·
Chairman
20,402 Posts
This OP is in Oz.

He needs a tyre - make, model and size - that he can readily get if he needs a new one in the middle of nowhere - and there is an awful lot of nowhere!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts