Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I think its time that we all got together with our problems (especially the tyre wear issue) and Contacted BBC watchdog. This will then Give VW an opportunity to meet us face to face and tell us exactly why they have no (or very little) quality control at the manufacturing stage. I am still having issues with my tyres and have now sent photos to JAN MCLEAN in an attempt to have these replaced. I am as we speak awaiting a reply from the monkey in their techncal dept (the one who said that geometry settings dont affect tyre wear
) I have already sent an Email to watchdog plighting MY case and pointing them in the direction of this Forum.
Does Anyone care to Contact watchdog as well if so http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog.

Cheers

·
Banned
80 Posts
Dave..
I've already suggested this course of action twice before. I sent my case off to BBC WD about three months ago now. I too have had issues with tyre wear.. luckily now after I paid out hundreds of pounds of my own cash to have two rear tyres, 40% payment for two front tyres and a full alingment done, things seem to be better.. but it still stings when i think I had to spend so much of my own cash to fix a problem that was clearly there from the factory...

Going back to the thread... There was little responce from the forum, so I can only assume that either no one wants to stir things up or everyone is very happy with their tyre wear...

Just because mine is now fixed, I would still be interested in getting my money back for an alingment check and the 40% I had to contribute to the front tyres because of premature wear..

Roy

·
136 Posts
Just because mine is now fixed, I would still be interested in getting my money back for an alingment check and the 40% I had to contribute to the front tyres because of premature wear..

I have only a bit of tyre wear on the outer edges after 5000 miles but I did have full geometry check and rectification done free of charge. I understand that VW now says that incorrect geometry does not affect tyre wear, and expects us to put up and shut up.

Clearly anything less that 20000 miles from a tyre is less than acceptable. I agree that we must all get together and voice our dissatisfaction with VW Lux Cars.

Count me in.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I will try and get things rolling!. On the subject of Tyre wear I have today spoken with the Tyre manufacturer's technical engineers, they say that once a tyre starts running off this pattern will continue even if geometry is subsequently fixed (although it will wear out at a slower rate) still means at the end of the day Factory faults are costing consumers money.

VW, 'SORT YOURSELVES OUT IF YOU WANT TO MANUFACTURE A PREMIUM VEHICLE GET YOURSELVES A PREMIUM QUALITY CONTROL SYSTEM IN PLACE!!! '

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
Count me in

I know people tend to find these forums when they have experienced problems, but the tyre wear issue is just not going away

I am sick to death of VW insisting there is nothing wrong

Would love to see 'em explain it away on live TV - they've had enough opportunity to sort it out with individuals but just don't care.

Lets take the gloves off (or at least put some bloody big horse shoes in them!
)

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
QUOTE(dcirulis @ Oct 28 2005, 09:12 AM)Hi all, I think its time that we all got together with our problems (especially the tyre wear issue) and Contacted BBC watchdog. This will then Give VW an opportunity to meet us face to face and tell us exactly why they have no (or very little) quality control at the manufacturing stage. I am still having issues with my tyres and have now sent photos to JAN MCLEAN in an attempt to have these replaced. I am as we speak awaiting a reply from the monkey in their techncal dept (the one who said that geometry settings dont affect tyre wear
?
) I have already sent an Email to watchdog plighting MY case and pointing them in the direction of this Forum.
Does Anyone care to Contact watchdog as well if so http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog.

Cheers
[snapback]11293[/snapback]​

Count me in

I currently have no issues with tyre wear

However my first Treg was on the rejection list due to this and many of the other issues

I have records of all letters and emails sent backwards and forwards

Rich

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE(dcirulis @ Oct 28 2005, 08:12 AM)Hi all, I think its time that we all got together with our problems (especially the tyre wear issue) and Contacted BBC watchdog. This will then Give VW an opportunity to meet us face to face and tell us exactly why they have no (or very little) quality control at the manufacturing stage. I am still having issues with my tyres and have now sent photos to JAN MCLEAN in an attempt to have these replaced. I am as we speak awaiting a reply from the monkey in their techncal dept (the one who said that geometry settings dont affect tyre wear
?

Cheers
[snapback]11293[/snapback]​

Count me in to.

Although the tyre wear on my vehicle does'nt seem to be getting any worse i feel that if at say 7-8k they start to look bad that VW should held accountable for what is clearly a manufacturing problem.

I don't know whether or not to contact VW regarding the rounding of the tyre's on my car or wait until it's done 6k and see if its more noticable, then i would feel i had a stronger argument ?

Regards

Merckx

·
31 Posts
QUOTE(Merckx @ Oct 28 2005, 01:59 PM)Count me in to.

Although the tyre wear on my vehicle does'nt seem to be getting any worse i feel that if at say 7-8k they start to look bad that VW should held accountable for what is clearly a manufacturing problem.

I don't know whether or not to contact VW regarding the rounding of the tyre's on my car or wait until it's done 6k and see if its more noticable, then i would feel i had a stronger argument ?

Regards

Merckx
[snapback]11315[/snapback]​

And me. Currently finished the second set of front tyres with 9K on the clock. Let's make them accountable!

·
115 Posts
Count me in as well - I had to change my first set at 13.5k which is unacceptable for a SUV especially as the wear was completely irregular...i.e. front outside worn, rear inside worn.

VW didn't want to know at that mileage and blamed it on heavy vehicle and roundabouts! I do understand that we have to pay a small price for having anti roll bars the size of a man's fist, but uneven wear on a new vehicle has to be down to cars leaving the factory without being checked fully.

I have yet to get my geometry checked, as VW wouldn't do it without charging, but I am sure that the figures will be well out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
COUNT ME IN I HAVE JUST POSTED TWO LETTERS I RECEIVED FROM VW DON,T CARE ON THIS SIGHT CLAIMING YOU CAN EXPECT BETWEEN 3000 AND 24000 ON ONE LETTER AND 3000 TO 20000 ON THE OUTHER LETTER SO I DON,T THINK THEY HAVE ANY REALISTIS CLUE THE FIGURES SEEM TO BE PLUCKED OUT OF THE AIR.
I RIDE A M/BIKE AND GET 7000 MILES OUT OF THEM SO WHY WOULD A CAR GET LESS.
I HAVE ALSO WRITTEN TO WATCH DOG WHICH AND AUTOEXPRESS.
IF ANT OUE WANTS TO GET THE BALL ROALING CONTACT ME AT [email protected]
IF WE ALL GET TOGETHER WE STAND A GOOD CHANCE AS THEIR STRENGTH IS IN KEEPING US ALL APART AND REFUSING TO ACCEPT THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM.

lETS BE HAVING YOU TERRY

G

·
Hello All,

Have submitted my story to Watchdog already - 13,000 out of a set of 17" tyres was not acceptable, especially as the middle and inside of all 4 still had 5mm of tread...

Rimmer.

·
Telemetrically Superb
2,993 Posts
just filled in the web form on the watchdog site - i feel purged

G

·
I have just contacted Watchdog and informed them of my experience, as follows;

On the 10th Sept my 2.5Tdi Touareg was at the supplying dealer (Inchcape Shrewsbury) in order to replace a faulty leaking power steering pipe.

While the car was at the dealer I was informed that my two front tyres were showing signs of uneven tyre wear and I was advised this wear was due to 'bad wheel alignment' and I needed two replacements.

Wear Detail:
Left Side Front (outer: 2mm / Middle: 3mm / Inner: 4mm)
Right Side Front (outer: 2mm / Middle: 3mm / Inner: 4mm)

I was advised that due to the mileage (11527) that VW will pay for 50% of the cost of the tyres, plus carry out a full 4 wheel alignment check. I agreed and it was done.

Personally I was ok with this - plus my dealer was actually trying to be helpful as they indicated if I left it until I had done over 12k VW would probably offer nothing.

I am still looking for the printouts of the wheel alignment results so I can post them on here - must be in the office so I will check on Monday.

I have basically informed Watchdog of the above for supporting information if they decide to take the issue up with VW.

Kaine

·
3,680 Posts
I support you all but don't think I can put my case forward as VW carried out wheel alignment and replaced all 4 tyres (two rear was not even worn) free of charge.

I'm still on the side that your dealers could be doing alot more for you guys.

Good Luck in your quest

G

·
Fi,

I'm the same as you, however the point is your Treg also had the problem and VW (ok, via the dealer) have admitted a problem with your car and replaced the tyres for free

Kaine

·
115 Posts
QUOTE(mjstubley @ Oct 29 2005, 05:25 PM)just filled in the web form on the watchdog site - i feel purged
[snapback]11388[/snapback]​

Me too

·
Banned
80 Posts
Im pleased to see so many of you coming forward and contacting BBC watchdog... as I said earlier. I did this a few months ago.. Lets hope they collate the stories and make something of this.. VW really do have a problem with tyre wear.. and they need to sort it out.

Im happy to join the band.. not sure i will ever see the cash back but it would be nice to see VW face up to the comments..

Fi..
If your car had the faults.. then surly this add's more weight to our cliams if you report it.. OK.. fully understand your dealer has done a fantastic job and corrected the faults.. perhaps if you send your story then Watchdog may use this as a yard stick for what other customers expect as a fix from their dealers.. also, don't forget your dealer will be mentioned and that can only be good for them if they are giving this type of service.

·
3,680 Posts
QUOTE(royfox @ Oct 29 2005, 06:50 PM)Im pleased to see so many of you coming forward and contacting BBC watchdog... as I said earlier. I did this a few months ago.. Lets hope they collate the stories and make something of this.. VW really do have a problem with tyre wear.. and they need to sort it out.

Im happy to join the band.. not sure i will ever see the cash back but it would be nice to see VW face up to the comments..

Fi..
If your car had the faults.. then surly this add's more weight to our cliams if you report it.. OK.. fully understand your dealer has done a fantastic job and corrected the faults.. perhaps if you send your story then Watchdog may use this as a yard stick for what other customers expect as a fix from their dealers.. also, don't forget your dealer will be mentioned and that can only be good for them if they are giving this type of service.
[snapback]11395[/snapback]​

Oh I couldn't stand the lime light
I

·
871 Posts
THERE IS A DOWNSIDE !!!!

If Joe Public see's Tregs being slated on TV - 2nd hand prices WILL TUMBLE !!!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts