Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning popped the key in turned it once and the warning bells went off with no sign off the treg starting.
Fuel guage was showing the 6 o'clock position and the battery voltage was sitting @ 0

Had a look under the bonnet and measured around 11 volts on the terminals, tried to charge it up with an old charger but could only get to 12.25 V max - and that wasn't enough.

When SWMBO got back I tried to jump it with her Beetle and finally got it started when I left the Beetle charging for around 5 minutes.

After a decent run it appears to be back to normal and the temrinals are giving a regular 12.75 V and 14.4 V with the engine running.

This got me thinking, I had made 2 decent runs on Wednesday and Thursday (500 miles +). a short run to fill up on Thursday evening and then I remebered that on Friday SWMBO moved it back 3 feet to allow the window cleaner to set his ladder and then 20 minutes afterwards she moved it back to unblock her car.

So it looks like the 2 short start/ stops have drained the battery of it's top end. I am hoping that it is a blip, and will now monitor the battery performance over the next few days.

So firstly - does anyone know what the typical voltage is for the Treg with the ignition on and then with the engine running?

Secondly, the gauges have all gone back to normal, however, I noticed that the battery gauge takes a little time to react to the ignition before going to 12 V - so does everyone else's battery gauge take a little time to react?

As above, I hope that this is just a blip and a lesson in batttery management. If the voltage is maintained and the gauge goes up to 14 V when running, I am hoping that there is no long term damge, the alternator seems to be charging and no need to replace the battery.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
This came up recently and I think the consensus on the battery guage was 12 volts when turning on the ignition, dip to 11 on starting and then 14v when the engine's running.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The 2 short excursions shouldn't have drained your battery. I've just noticed you have a '04 reg treg. I had to get a new battery last year for my old '53 reg treg. I think the battery only has a lifespan of 5 years, so your's might be due for a change. It'll be a good idea to get it checked before the onset of winter.

·
Ex-Treg owner
1,984 Posts
I remember a few threads over the years, especially by Pilgrim, about Treg batteries being AGM (absorbtion glass mat or something similar) and describing their properties and anticipated lifespan. Hopefully he'll chime in on this thread, but from memory the symptoms warrant further checking of the battery before the onset of winter I think.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys - I'm going to check the condition over the next few days and I'm expecting that most likely I need to get a new battery

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Shytot said:
Cheers guys - I'm going to check the condition over the next few days and I'm expecting that most likely I need to get a new battery
If you need a new battery make sure you get a few quotes. VW prices are extortionate.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
As said above about the life of batteries and previous comments. The other things that maybe considered is the remote entry if you have it is the Kessy ( keyless entry) module which can cause battery drain. On that subject if the original module is duff then try to get the same replacement, as if the updated module dated after 2006, all the door handles will have to be replaced as the antennas are in the door handles. Hence they are incompatible.
The use of all accessories needs monitoring since the battery if over five years then the capacity of the battery whilst still serviceable is unable to cope with the electrical loading.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all - I have access to trade discount @ Halfrauds so one of their Bosch 5 star would do the job O0

@ Nooby thanks for the link, I found it previously and looks straight forward - just need a 10mm triple square.

I've had no further problem and when driving down south today I noticed that the heated door mirror switch was on so I'm wondering if it is independent of the ignition and was the reason for the unusual drain .... :oops:

·
56 Posts
hi shytot
this happened to me the other month i phoned vw and they said the battery they use are gel batteries which are prone now and again to a total discharge for no reason.touch wood after jump start everythings been alright ,id give it a bit to see if it does it again.
all the best daz

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Daz - it sounds a little strange that they can write it off as something that gel batteries are prone to.

Anyway - I will keep monitoring and hopefully get away with it

G

·
Talk about making it difficult to change a battery. OMG such a simple task made so freaking complex and time consuming

1 - 12 of 12 Posts