Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Went to start my treg earlier after 5 days of sitting there and the thing is totally lifeless. The engine is not turning over and I can only hear a clicking noise of the starter solenoid which tells me the battery is totally wasted. I should have known something was amiss when I moved the car briefly a few days ago and it didnt start very well then. Very sluggish start that time. I have read about battery problems on here and one which sticks in my mind is the TMC problem which VW know about apparently. I believe my TMC was turned on. Anybody got anymore details on this issue? Could it be anything else? This is the first time I have had problems with my Treg in 6 months of owning it.

The car is parked on a slope facing down and I don't drive around with the lights on. Last time it was running I noted that the voltage meter was showing normal so I know its not the alternator before somebody suggests that. If the battery is duff, will VW replace it if the car is still under warranty? My warranty runs out in July so I need to pull my finger out.

Any idea will be warmly received. Thanks in advance.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
If you are under warranty, just ring VW Assist and get them to sort it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AA have been out and they jump started the car, Just been out for a 15 mile drive and all seem well for now. Will see if it starts in the morning. I cant find anything that can be causing it except the TMC on the sat nav was turned on! maybe thats it. Will keep you posted.

·
656 Posts
Hi Ultrawong.
I had this happen with mine on 2 occasions.. I'd been on hols for a week to come home to a flat bettery. on both occasions VW Assist (RAC) came to jump start the treg and there would be no problems during usual use after this. On the first occasion the car went into VW, but they could not find the fault and the battery was fine.
On the second occasion it was booked in once again, but this time they would keep it until they found the fault. I also keep the TMC on all the time and have it record messages for and hour before I get in the car in the morning and an hour before I leave work in the evening.
After evaluation, VW traced the battery drain to the radio sat nav. They tried a software download but this didn't rectify the problem. They then replaced the sat nav unit for a new one and the excessive drain went away.
I have just returned from another weeks holiday and I made a point to keep the TMC 'ON' as decribed above and hoped for the best.... On my return, the very first thing I did was to try the Treg and to my great relief, the beauty started first time and battery charge was perfect

It's worth reporting your VW Tech of my experience.. it may save some time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much Tregger-Happy, I will print off the screen and certainly use it for explaining what might be the cause. I will let you know how I get on hehe.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Battery problems can occur on very low mileage vehicles that are some years old, The AGM (absorbed glass material )spec batteries can give out spontaneously/suddenly and then recover after a recharge and not have a problem again leaving one with a feeling is there something else going on.
Having the TMC on has little or no effect, it more likely to be phone or another attached extra.
The battery management system has a little 'intelligence' it will close down (graceful degradation) various extras such as heated seats etc, and on occasions the sat/nav although this normally preceded with 'start engine', if these start to happen on a regular basis then it is best to do a battery replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts