Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped my 2.5 SE Sport off at the local dealer after having to get RAC out to start it as battery died overnight, alternator was checked and is working fine, so initial thoughts are battery.

No issues previously - baffled and awaiting diagnosis

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Assume the obvious has been checked, like something having been left on....??

·
656 Posts
I had a similar experience last November. The Treg was left on my drive for a week when I'd been on holiday. Battery was totally flat, so RAC came to jump start it. He checked the battery conditiona and the alternator, but found that all were ok. Booked the car into the dealer to have full diagnostic of the drain on the battery and found all were within toloerence. I've had no problem since, but have only left it for a max of 4 nights. After which it started with no problem and the volt meter was reading a perfect 12-13V before I turned the key. I've put it down to a 1-off. The real test will be when I go away next month for a week. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, there was nothing to be left on and was only left for 15 hours overnight!! :roll:

Now further compounded by them offering a Focus or Zafira as a replacement :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
My voltmeter only ever reads 11v before I turn the ignition. I did get the dealers to check the battery, and it was ok.
I have invested in one of these solar power battery trickle chargers. Not sure whether that has made a difference. I just usually plug it in when I'm at work when the car is parked in the staff carpark.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New battery has been fitted under warranty (an a brake pressure sensor!) now to wait for 24hours so they can do a cold start on it...................

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tregger-Happy said:
I had a similar experience last November. The Treg was left on my drive for a week when I'd been on holiday. Battery was totally flat, so RAC came to jump start it. He checked the battery conditiona and the alternator, but found that all were ok. Booked the car into the dealer to have full diagnostic of the drain on the battery and found all were within toloerence. I've had no problem since, but have only left it for a max of 4 nights. After which it started with no problem and the volt meter was reading a perfect 12-13V before I turned the key. I've put it down to a 1-off. The real test will be when I go away next month for a week. Will keep you posted.
I had this same problem about 2 weeks ago. Car had been left in garage for about 4 days, went to start it and there was no power at all. Even the key wouldn't come back out without using the emergency release. Checked by dealer a few days later and all found to be ok, not even a fault showing on the electronic log! I too hope it was a one off as the car is only 18 months old and has 2 batteries. (Should add, it's the 3.0tdi, not the V10).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything backto normal after cold start and back on hte road again - they have put it down to a duff battery

·
656 Posts
AdamYates said:
Everything backto normal after cold start and back on hte road again - they have put it down to a duff battery
I would say that is a duff excuse because they couldn't find the real reason and wanted to sting you for a new battery.

I think the Treg has another one of those electrical bugs that occurs every now and again. Mine hasn't failed to start since it happened last November, but I noticed yesterday morning that my trip info from start hadn't reset itself overnight and still had all the previous days info such as MPG from start.
I just wondered if this happens sometimes, then is the CPU still ticking over and drawing from the battery. It's only the second time this has happened in 2 years. However, I had no problem with starting. But, if this kind of thing happens while the car is parked-up for a week, then would this have resulted in my one and only non-start experience? Guess I'll never know, but my battery and electrics were checked and within tolerence and no new battery was needed. All been fine since.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Adam

What year is your Treg? Earlier Tregs had a sliding contact for the battery under the driver's seat which was known to create a drain is misaligned sometimes (or something like that). Recall 90D7 specifically replaced this type of battery connection with a different type (sorry for the vagueness, can't remember the details off the top of my head) which solves the problem. I can dig up my recall 90D7 job sheet if you want to check the actual technical description?

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
What's the "emergency key release", please?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you put the key in and can't get it back out - as happens when the battery is totally dead- then you need to release the key by putting a small object, like a paper clip wire, into the small hole to the left of the key slot, this will allow the key to be removed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem with an '04 V10 but at least when the main battery goes flat it will start with the auxilliary battery. I put in a new main battery and let it sit 48 hours and it was dead like before. I'm going to test for drains with a clamp on amp meter and pulling fuses, but how do you simulate the door being shut so the dome light won't stay on and the computers go to sleep?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts