Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just back from touring France & Spain by Treg. Bored my mates silly by telling them how wonderful the car is etc.
Anyways...
When driving through the centre of Madrid in nightmare stop-start traffic I started to get a little "clunk" when the gearbox was changing down/up. Only on very gentle acceleration/deceleration.Sometimes 1st to 2nd sometimes 3rd to 4th gear.
However when accelerating (erm) "smartly" there is no clunk - just smooth as silk.
I've seen a few scary threads about "solenoid valve chest" which seems an expensive fix...
Apart from this occasional hiccup it has been fantastic.
Any suggestions welcome!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's a fair chance that a gearbox reset may do the trick. Something about stop-start seems to upset the gearbox program - I think I have noticed this a couple of times.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I know I'm a bore on these matters, but I hope you've got a good warranty . . . just in case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try the gearbox reset. I did want to do it until I had some feedback.
In terms of warranty the vehicle is a July 06 plate 3ltr V6. However I bought it from a L-R dealer who supplied it with WarrantyWise "Platinum".
I will get a chance to try the gearbox reset on Friday and will update you on whether the reset works. I think it is key in ignition. Foot on accelerator. Turn key to first position (but do not start). wait 60 seconds. Release foot. Turn off ignition?
Cheers.

·
Chairman
20,048 Posts
I thought it was key in ignition and turn on but do not start - then press the pedal to the metal and hold. Release. Turn ignition off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
noobytoogy said:
I thought it was key in ignition and turn on but do not start - then press the pedal to the metal and hold. Release. Turn ignition off.
Thanks. I was not sure I had it right. I will give this a try and then test for clunks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the gearbox reset.
Result?
I have only had a very minor "clunk" once.
I have checked my "WarrantyWise Platinum" cover and it does include transmission and gearbox - phew...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that sounds encouraging.
But just in case, be sure to do what noobs said before your Platinum Thingummy expires. Even the Treg tech at my stealer has asked me if I have a warranty.

·
Super Moderator
15,723 Posts
Having taken my Treg on a 2 week holiday in France which was mainly autoroute driving, I too noticed a clunky change up/down from 1st/2nd when I got back home.

Box reset sorted it for me and the car is driving perfect again

Cass

·
1,307 Posts
nooby.. is there a certain length of time to hold pedal down for or is it just down and up?

·
Elite Member
3,415 Posts
Stu,
Hold it down for 30 seconds or so,i reset fairly often as most of my driving is round town and changes get a bit stodgy.
Always much livelier after a reset.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cass said:
Having taken my Treg on a 2 week holiday in France which was mainly autoroute driving, I too noticed a clunky change up/down from 1st/2nd when I got back home.

Box reset sorted it for me and the car is driving perfect again

Cass
That is weird. The same happened to us. We went to France and Spain. Maybe it's a french thing?
Seriously though our TReg was quite loaded up - suitcases, wine, more wine etc. I wondered if it was related to being heavily loaded and very hot gearbox-sometimes driving for upto 7-8 hours. We did > 3000miles in 2 weeks and it was bloomin' hot in Spain...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts