Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that my 20" Ayres Rock alloys are starting to corrode all over the place !

On one wheel one of the areas is due to light curbing, however the other threee with no curbing all have it as well

I know this has been raised before and some of you have had one / all replaced.

For those successful, please can you let me know the process you used to get VW to swap them for new ones.

To me any car and especially a car of this value should not be suffering this problem.

( I did have the same on my Mercedes AMG wheels in the 90's - but would have thaught technology and wheel design would have moved on)

Many Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had the same problem on my Audi, that I just got rid of. No problems went to dealer they looked at wheels accepted problem suggested I wait until after winter and then replaced all 4 wheels.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I had the same issue with the 19" Atheos on my Treg- I raised the subject with my dealer and he agreed there and then to change them under warranty.

Cas

·
318 Posts
Noticed at the weekend that one of my Ayers Rocks is also starting to corrode around the centre cap. It will be in later in the week for VW to have a look at it.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your feedback.

Scotty - please can you let me know what happens.

Thanks

·
27 Posts
When my treg went in to VW Warrington for its first service last year, I told them that the ayers rock wheels were starting to corrode. When I picked it up later that day, they told me that they would replace all 4 wheels under warrenty...
To be honest I was pleasantly suprised that they would replace them without any quibble....

I used to use a cleaner on them called " wonder wheels " which smells like brick acid... Think that this helped them to corrode
. Needless to say I no longer use it, and these wheels seem to be holding up o.k.........

·
165 Posts
Have got a nice new set of 19"Tera wheels sitting in my garage ready to fit. Just mentioned at the first service that I thought they were discolouring around the centre cap and a new set duly arrived. As I wanted to fit wider tyres I chose to get them fitted myself. Still have the original ones on the car trying to use the last 2 mm of tread before VW ask for them back. Must say I was pleasantly pleased how easy the whole process was.
I mentioned the problem to a friend who paints cars and he tells me the problem is that these types of alloy are lacquered over a bright machined surface with no undercoat unlike a normal alloy wheel which can be etch primed before being painted silver or what ever. Without the etching primer the lacquer doesn't do a great job of sealing the surface.

·
318 Posts
PTY said:
Thanks all for your feedback.

Scotty - please can you let me know what happens.

Thanks
Just got back in from Pulman VW (Durham), they had the car 10 minutes and virtually left me no time to finish my complimentary coffee....

1 wheel showing minor corrosion around the centre cap, 3 wheels looked ok to me (corrosion wise) but had minor bits of stone chips and a couple of little scrapes here and there.

Pulmans' response - "We will replace all 4 wheels Mr S., when is convenient ?"

I need the car until next week, so it's getting sorted on Tuesday.

Once again this company has impressed me.

·
318 Posts
Latest update - 4 shiny new Ayers Rocks fitted today....

·
165 Posts
Just a thought, but do you think VWs generosity replacing wheels is down to the fact that they are supplied by a third party, so not actually costing them anything to replace. I must say though that I've never had a problem getting anything sorted, but never underestimate the value of a dealer who's on your side. Not all appear to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts