Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
'Ow bist?
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was quoted ?299 for the "Autoglym Pack", by my VW stealer, when I bought my new Treg.

It consists of a treatment for the paintwork apparently; shampooing the carpets and treating the leather (a bit like Scotchguard).

I said, "No, thanks." But was I too hasty, is it a good thing to do? And if so, can I do it myself for less?

Chris
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
3,415 Posts
Sounds like a lot of money to me,haggling would have halfed it.
I think dealers sub it out to valeters anyway,so there's 2 profits in there.

wurzel,punch After Sales Professional Paintwork Protection into the search facility,located just under the banner at the top,and some of your questions will be answered.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
With my knowledge of the industry I wouldn't touch autoglym/supaguard with a very long barge pole..... its a pure profit maker.... just a word of warning with supaguard in particular.. the paint protection needs at least 7 days to cure any water including heavy rain can literally wash it off....

They use a really crap sales technique " it adds value " does it heck or they worry you into submission

if you want to look after you car wash it with Ph neutral car shampoo' no TFR wax once every 6 weeks polish twice a year...

off soap box.....
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
ross911rmk said:
off soap box.....
More of a shampoo box


Seems like sound advice


I guess if you know someone who does valets in the area - ?299 would pay for a few anyway.
 

·
Superman
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
ross911rmk said:
With my knowledge of the industry I wouldn't touch autoglym/supaguard with a very long barge pole..... its a pure profit maker.... just a word of warning with supaguard in particular.. the paint protection needs at least 7 days to cure any water including heavy rain can literally wash it off....

They use a really crap sales technique " it adds value " does it heck or they worry you into submission

if you want to look after you car wash it with Ph neutral car shampoo' no TFR wax once every 6 weeks polish twice a year...

off soap box.....
Great to have you back Ross....!
 

·
'Ow bist?
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

Good advice. Sorry for asking a question I could have found the answers to by searching. :oops:

Chris
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
3,415 Posts
Wurzel said:
Thanks guys,

Good advice. Sorry for asking a question I could have found the answers to by searching. :oops:

Chris
Ask away,someone else might have a new spin on the subject
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
If you haven't tried the Turtle Wax ICE system give it a go... its pretty good for the money... COSTCO have it in there stores at the mo..
 

·
Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
PH Neutral shampoo (foamed on, left to soak)
PH Neutral shampoo using two bucket system and lambs wool mitt (Shampoo ?14, Mitt ?10)

Mild clay to remove surface contaminants (Say Meguirs, about ?20 - clay about once a year)

Foam and shampoo again

AG Ultra Deep Shine (or equivilant) (?18 for a big bottle)

AG High definition wax over the top (?40 from Halfrauds, ?25 on Ebay)

Remember to polish on with proper polishing pads (not an old cloth knocking about in the garage) and polish off (and dry) with microfibre cloths (with the labels cut off). The pads are about ?7 for two, and the cloths ?15 for 3 (Halfrauds).

Keep your cloths / mitts / pads in a tuperware when they're not being used - stops garage grime settling on them.

This will give the same (exterior) results and protection, your car won't have dealer induced swirls where they've used a sponge and one bucket, and will cost you about ?100 and a days work, and you'll have some of the porducts left over for re-use.

Check out http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php for more detailled detailing threads. My wife calls that forum my OCD site!!! Incidently, in the detailing world, many AG products are held in high esteem.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
had the AG Pack on one of my Audis got it free as part of the deal as the car had already been done. Got to say it was not to bad just depends on how well it was applied.

I am a fan of DoDo juice products at the moment.

LSP I like Zymol Concours or Do DO Supernatural. for a QD in fact wait a wee minute.|!!!!!

You could say I like my detailing products Allan uses them mostly but then so do I

>
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.













 

·
Chairman
Joined
·
20,048 Posts
The dealers probably make more money on the ?299 pack than they will selling the car these days!

Go see what Honest John [Daily Telegraph] says about this rip off.

You've had good wash/care advice above. Take it!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
656 Posts
Can you tell me what a two bucket system is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
As a professional in the motor industry for 25 years, I can tell you that Autoglym do make good products.
However, you've got to ask yourself, if this protection is so good, why don't manufacturers put it on as standard?
Most, if not all, paintshops use products made by "3m". They use a cutting compound called G3 to "clean and cut" the paintwork followed by a final glaze.I have removed several scratches on my own car using G3 and an electric polishing mop.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
Tregger-Happy said:
Can you tell me what a two bucket system is?
one bucket wash solution and one bucket to rinse your mitt after every application to the paint work.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
60 Posts
Tregger-Happy said:
Can you tell me what a two bucket system is?
The two bucket system is where you use a bucket for your shampoo mix, and then have another bucket of clean water.

You apply the shampoo to the bodywork using your mitt, wash a panel, and then, before applying more shampoo, rinse the mitt in the plain water.

This rinses fine grit particles from the mitt, and prevents swirling or scratching of the paintwork. You'll be amazed at how much grit is at the bottom of the bucket at then end of a wash - even of the car is relatively clean.

All this explained quite well here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... php?t=4637

Have fun!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
Charlie Upright said:
As a professional in the motor industry for 25 years, I can tell you that Autoglym do make good products.
However, you've got to ask yourself, if this protection is so good, why don't manufacturers put it on as standard?
Most, if not all, paintshops use products made by "3m". They use a cutting compound called G3 to "clean and cut" the paintwork followed by a final glaze.I have removed several scratches on my own car using G3 and an electric polishing mop.
for hand application the best product is considered to be autoglym SRP great for removing light swirls and a good filler.

I have the G220 DA polisher and I use Meguairs 80 and 83 easy to use and gives me a good working time.
 

·
Telemetrically Superb
Joined
·
2,993 Posts
Here's the washing regime for my Treg

Bulgaria's Best - Vlad and Sergei. What they can't do with a gritty dishcloth, cheap detergent and a greasy chamois isn't worth knowing




Seriously - Wife had autoglym on her *spit* *spit* renault (bought second hand and had already been applied) and tbh, couldn't tell the difference as it had been poorly applied by some monkey at Renault UK.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,553 Posts
Hi

G3 is a made by a company called Farecla, based in ware hertfordshire. ( www.farecla.com ) they have a whole series of compounds depending on use.

excellent products, fairly pricey
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top