Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I know there are alot of you out there with some sort of gearbox problems, and Ithink VW is well aware of some of the problems that is going about ie. the valve chest and hard shifting and so on.

Now VW said that their auto boxes are filled for life and that the oil should be checked at certain services - for obvious reasons. If your touareg's gearbox starts to play up from 35k-40k up wards and 4years and older ,Would you be happy if VW turn around and say - Right change the auto box oil at 40k/4 years for V10 only and 60k/4 years for all other models. That will reduce the chances of your gearbox playing up and costing the owner ?1000 + when the car is out of warrenty .

The reason I bring this up is the valve chests i have open so far is pretty covered in soot and that alone doesn't help.
At the end of the day its up to you as owner whether you would like the oil changed at ?70 - ?110 (what ever the price of the ATF) as part of a service, at set intervals.

Its a big grey area, I know .

Some thing to think about.

D

·
Chairman
19,970 Posts
As I am a proponent of changing engine oil haflway through "long-life" servcing, and have regularly had engines that have done 150,000 and more [with one going on to 450,000 with no problems], then yes, I'd happily change transmission oil at ?100 a pop too and if VW recommended 60K, I'd do it every 30K!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
My 4 year old R5 was serviced 3 weeks ago and I asked then about changing the ATF. They said the same - that it was filled for life and didn't need it.

It is going in this week for a new rain/light sensor, and having read this post I think that I'll ask for the ATF to be changed. Is it a big job if not done as part of a service?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no its not a big job , and can be done as part of an service . I think an extra half hour on top of the service time.

interesting when the new oil goes in its a nice pure red colour , but after 40k it become a dark dark red colour like a pint of blood.

D

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Mine goes in for its 2nd long life service within the next 1000 mile. It has done 35K in a year.

I will ask for the ATF to be changed as it sounds like a very sensible thing to do.

Particularly given the fact that my car is now worthless and I will be keeping it of rht e next 3 years ...

I will let you know the extra price I am charged

Cheers

Domo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts