Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the posts we have on our forum, it seems that there is inconsistency in whether claims for particular faults and issues are honoured. It may be dependent on which dealer is handlng the claim but it is clear that the same fault may or may not be covered by warranty. It also doesn't always seem to help involving the luxury car support team - again with differing results.

I wonder if there would be any support from members in compiling a successful warranty claims "database" where we could demonstrate precedents where claims were approved, so that if a fault repair is rejected by a particular dealer we could show that the same fault has been approved by another.

It could also cover out of warranty goodwill and whether known faults (eg the underseat airbag wiring) are covered out of the warranty period.

The sort of data we may need

Fault
Treg model
Date
Dealer
In / out of warranty
Full service history (VW / non VW)
Goodwill % covered

If it needs compiling offline I would be happy to volunteer to do so.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Excellent idea. Well done!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Here is the warranty/repairs record for mine:
Fault ? Corrosion of wheel centre caps
Treg model- 3.0TDI Sport
Date: September 2007
Dealer- TL Darby
In warranty (14 months left)
Full service history (VW)
Goodwill % covered- fully covered under warranty

Fault ? 90D7 recall
Treg model- 3.0TDI Sport
Date: September 2007
Dealer- TL Darby
In warranty (14 months left)
Goodwill % covered- fully covered under warranty

Fault ? Corrosion of Alloy wheels
Treg model- 3.0TDI Sport
Date: October 15th 2007
Dealer- TL Darby
In warranty (13 months left)
Goodwill % covered- 3 wheels replaced free of charge. 4th wheel had only slight corrosion and had been curbed so this would have been ?betterment? so 4th wheel replaced at my expense with a discount.

Fault ? Oil Leak (oil on garage floor?). Stripped off the rear timing chain cover and replaced the gasket. Also carried out a VW recommended modification to all door handles.
Treg model- 3.0TDI Sport
Date: November 2007
Dealer- TL Darby
In warranty (12 months left)
Goodwill % covered- fully covered under warranty.

Fault ? Oil Leak (still leaking oil on garage floor?). Leak finally traced to Sump Seal- replaced under warranty.
Treg model- 3.0TDI Sport
Dealer- TL Darby

Fault ? Clicking/Ticking noise when engine was cold and outside temperature was low- traced to faulty Aux Heater. Replaced whilst oil leak was being fixed.
Treg model- 3.0TDI Sport
Dealer- TL Darby

Fault ? Wiper judder. Replaced wiper arms with a new version to stop the judder
Model- 3.0TDI Sport
Date: December 2007
Dealer- TL Darby
In warranty (11 months left)

Fault ? Coolant loss. Replaced the Exhaust Gas Recirculation cooler valve. In workshop for 2 weeks as part was on back-order.
Model- 3.0TDI Sport
Date: October 2008
Dealer- TL Darby
In warranty (1 month left)

Fault ? Coolant loss. Still losing coolant after EGR Value had been replaced. To find the source of the leak the engine had to be removed. All seals and both Head Gaskets were replaced (cost was ?4,000). In addition VW recommended other work whilst the engine was out (new cam chain, chain tensioner etc) which was done at VW?s expense.
Model- 3.0TDI Sport
Date: Feb/March 2009 (took nearly 3 weeks to fix)
Dealer- TL Darby
Out of warranty by 3 months
Goodwill % covered- 80% Goodwill split between VW and the Dealer as the leak was apparent before the warranty expired.

I hope this helps- Cas

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Golly - that's a bit of a list!

Glad I've got my Warranty Direct warranty!!

·
749 Posts
Fault : Rear Parking Sensors dont work when wet
Treg model: r5 2.5tdi 2005
Date May 2009
Dealer Windrush Maidenhead
In / out of warranty : In vw Extended Warranty
Full service history (VW / non VW) : Vw
Goodwill % covered : 100%

Dealer had to fight for it as warranty comp (VW Extended Warranty), wouldnt accept it. Excellent service from Windrush to supply all diagnostic proof errors of each fauly sensor, they didnt hesitate to sort it out for me and fought the good fight after the job was done.

Never get tired of saying it, Windrush Maidenhead are brilliant.

G

·
57 Plate 3.0 V6 - purchased from auction and not local dealer :wink:

RECALL - ON REAR SPOIL
The rear spoiler is not strong enough so they are being recalled in order to be strengthened - Strengthened under warranty

Roof Strips

One of the strips on the roof was beginning to lift - Replaced under warranty

Seat Belt Stalk

The airbag warning light came on and was diagnosed as requiring a new seatbelt stalk - Replaced under warranty

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is an excellent idea.

Here's the problems I have experienced to date with my 08 plate 3.0 TDI Altidude:

Fault 1: Power Steering Failure - Nearside oil seal failure (at only 6500miles)
Remedy: Complete new power steering rack and pump provided under warranty along with hire car (Passat Estate - bit of a comedown after a Treg) for duration of 10 days vehicle was out of service

Fault 2: Aircon failure - leaking high pressure switch (at only 7500miles)
Remedy: New switch fitted under warranty with courtesy car provided (dealers originally tried to give me a Polo until I complained and was then given a bog standard brand new Touran - again an even worse comedown after a Treg)

Fault 3: Recall notice for rear spoiler
Remedy; Fully fixed under warranty at same time as Fault 2 (only informed of problem after it had been rectified).

Fault 4: Problem with after market towing kit module(Brink) - set alarm off continuously or did not operate lights on my caravan. (Item bought as only cost ?590 fitted compared to VW quoted dealer prices of ?1000 in Heritage Bristol to ?1400 in Sinclair Newport - think they were taking the mickey as the fitting kit from VW's spares outlet was only ?326 plus vat)
Remedy: Module replaced under warrantee by supplier.apparently there are a number of different modules available from Brink so care must be taken when selecting the module - took three attempts to sort this problem out, but all now working and peace restored.

Dealer concerned Heritage VW for faults 1-3, and Bank Farm Trailers Newport for problem 4(excellent service by Simon and Glyn highly recommended)

Hope this is of use

Huwey

·
1,307 Posts
Cas, i see that you had wiper judder, my drivers side squeekes (bad spelling i know) it drives me nuts, i thought it was just worn out blades that needed changing. Is this really a warranty issue??

G

·
What i would like to share this what is a general stumbling block with most aftermarket warranties, is it's in their description.
The ones to beware of are the ones which have "MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN WARRANTY"

At our garage we've had quite alot of dealings with many of these warranties, the type that is often sold to a customer at car supermarkets.

By their terms, usually the vehicle has to have Broke down and is still immobile. If say the vehicle starts to use oil but the vehicle has not broke down, then they will usually put this down to wear and tear and as such normal wear and tear isnt covered by that type of warranty.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Sorry for the delay- I have been in the US all week.

Re the wipers- I first bought a new pair of blades (about ?30 from my delaer) then as this did not cure the issue I printed off asll the thread about the new spec wiper arms from here and went with this and my recipt for the blades back to my delaer who agreed this it could not be a problem with the blades and so orders the new arms and did it under warranty no-questions-asked.

Cas

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Fault ? Engine fans on full blast (louder than you'll ever nomally hear) causing oil and enging not to warm up - cause: temp sensors in engine bay http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f62/f ... 14961.html
Model- 4.2 V8
Date: September 2009
Dealer- Southampton VW (now Peter Cooper - Excellent service)
In warranty? - Extended with Warranties Direct
Full service history? (VW)
Goodwill % covered- No goodwill - Warranty covered entirely by WD (Although had to chase for payment - otherwise excellent)

Fault ? Freezing air from passenger side vents, no heat control - failed motor and broken flap in dash
Model- 4.2 V8
Date: September 2009
Dealer- Southampton VW (now Peter Cooper - Excellent service)
In warranty? - Extended with Warranties Direct
Full service history? (VW)
Goodwill % covered - No goodwill - Warranty covered entirely by WD (Although had to chase for payment - otherwise excellent)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts