Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
96 Posts
I have bought stuff from them for my fleet of old BMW's and my wifes Punto. The service is good, and parts perfectly fine. I have a set of front discs off them on one of my cars which have done 6 trackdays without problems. they have a bit of a brake judder now which I think was caused by road salt corrosion when I used the car in January then left it parked up until a trackday last month. I did have a problem with the drums I bought for the Punto - because Fiat themselves don't know what the rear brakes are until they take them off - different sizes used at random! Anyway Brakes international refunded me without quibble.

They are located in Rochdale which is mildly accessible for me workwise, so I've been a few times to collect. They were really helpful, and even spent a while finding some pad pins the right length for my awkward calipers.

The parts are all made by the OEM's like FEBI/brembo etc anyway - no knock off ****** fakes.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Towrag, can you tell me if you know, which set of discs and pads they are on that website because they have 3 options on each end of the car to choose from. Am I right in thinking that it is the top one out of the three in both cases (front and rear)I think its the brembo ones. I also have the same car year and spec as yours.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You need to look at your calipers, there should be two pins on the leading
Edge, if this is the case then you need the 320mm brembo set, if not
It's the 308 ate system from memory, currentlyvinva meeting
At the moment and using my iPhone to surf.

I'll check the sales invoice which should be in the
Car once I get out of this meeting, not professional
But talking about trees and shrubs at the moment.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
If you look at the photos in my post on disc replacement you will see pics of the ATE caliper setup.

download/file.php?id=285

Alasdair

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Wicked post thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great post of the brake disc and pad change. I am now almost certain that my calipers are the larger brembo ones cause they dont look anything like those. Also my rears are discs and not drum brakes. I will double check though the next time I clean the car when the weather picks up a bit, which up here in the highlands could be a while!!!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
The clever part are the rear brakes- a disc that you can see and hidden within the hub is a drum-brake for the parking brake.

Until I saw this post I just assumed that the parking brake clamped onto the rear discs. :oops:

Cas

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
The reason for a separate drum brake is that as discs cool they contract and the brake pads may no longer make tight contact with potentially obvious consequences.

The other reason is that if the discs are very hot, then clamping them in one spot with the brake pads causes uneven cooling and the discs can and do warp badly.

This latter reason is especially important to fast drivers on track days where you should have cooling down laps and then park the car on a level surface with the brakes off and the car in gear and, if possible, wheel chocked.

And it's the same reason you shouldn't sit at traffic lights with your foot on the brakes if you have been doing some high speed braking [and especially don't do it if you've got a Bentley with that stupid full car width LED high level brake light that blinds everyone and makes me want to shove the gizmo button into low range/engage diff locks and drive right over the top of your bluddy car!]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts