Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Ok I know this may have been covered before but there is so much to read up about these navigation units in VWs I was hoping this will save me some time.

Anyway here is my question:

I bought my first Touareg yesterday and so far so good the only thing I am slightly disappointed with is the SAT NAV. I have a 2005 Touareg with a 2004/05 cd map from tele atlas. I was wondering if I can update the version firmware to give me a few more options like:

1) Prospective 3D view of maps.
2) Better detail of maps.
3) Able to get speed cameras.
4) Up to date maps.

Is any of the above possible on Volkswagen nav systems?

I previously had a BMW 330 M Sport with sat nav and I upgraded that myself using a version update disc and the latest maps disc. It was fairly easy to do.

Can this be done on my Touareg using the same principle?

Cheers

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have taken some photos of my nav. If anyone can advise me what system i have and how to upgrade i would be most grateful.

·
318 Posts
From the overview pic it looks the same as my RN S2 DVD.

Can't help with your upgrade query though.

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Thanks for the reply. I have a CD-rom for the nav maps. Would it take DVDs also?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have a 2005/55 car and this has a similar looking Sat Nav- mine is DVD based (my forst Treg was a 2004 and that was CD based). I hope this is of some help.

Cas

·
318 Posts
g3gsb said:
Hi Thanks for the reply. I have a CD-rom for the nav maps. Would it take DVDs also?
Unfortunately not - One of the few gripes I've got, as well as the SatNav system being very poor when compared to the likes of TomTom etc.

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies. It's a 2005 model but is a 54 plate. The nav is pants surely there is something that can be done.

·
749 Posts
Yes you can update the maps and get camera, your unit is DVD based same as mine, the new up to date dvd is about ?110 from teleatlas website.

Unfortunatley you cant play dvd movies on it, i am told it plays audio cds, but i havent tried that yet.

I am not sure if the new maps are 3D.

Like yourself i have just left BMW behind for a Treg .

·
318 Posts
Hi Furion,

That's good to know about teleatlas.

Do you know anyone that has tried it ?, if so, how does it compare and does it take full UK post codes etc.

Ref playing audio CD's in the RN S2, it will play them but you lose the map whilst doing so, as the nav disc has to come out.

·
749 Posts
I will upgrading the map cd shortley, i will let you know how it compares.

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
furion,

i notice from your spec that you have bluetooth in your treg. Do you know if this is easy to fit if i buy a bluetooth for my car? Its the only extra that i don't have fitted and i miss not have a phone system.

Cheers g3gsb

·
749 Posts
Hi

The bluetooth came with the car, its a sony erricson fiited by an installer, the wires have been run behind the headlining trim for the microphone and wood facia plate near the key, i think there is space fpr a tidy install.

However my m8 fitted a parrot ck300, his car was bluetooth prep already inc the ariel so all the major wires had been run, all he had to do was buy the cable to attached the parrot, i think he spent about ?40 on the wires and bits pieces, and about ?80 on the parrot bluetooth kit.

Depending how patient you are and your love for tinkering fitting a bluetooth kits isnt to hard, however if you are not a hands on person, might be worth recruiting a m8 to help with the incentive of a beer. If you are anywhere near maidenhead i know a guy who can sort it out for you and is reliable. He also looks after my Treg.

What i will say is the sound for mine hasnt been put thru the in car system so it doesnt mute automatically which is a pain, i dont know if there was some restriction or the installer was lazy, and the speaker has been fitted facing the pasanger footwell so it isnt as loud as i would like it to be.

Might be worth checking out Halfords i have heard they sometimes do good deals on installs with certain promo kits.

Sorry i cant be much more help
Furion

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
has anyone got the latest maps dvd that they wanna sell me?? desperate to upgrade this rubbish navigation system.

·
749 Posts
g3gsb said:
has anyone got the latest maps dvd that they wanna sell me?? desperate to upgrade this rubbish navigation system.
I bought the latest dvd from teleatlas, ?122, to be honest it doesnt look any differant, still doesnt take a full post code, still osnt 3d, but i am advised it might be firmware. You welcome to have a look at mine just to see what itds like, i am in hornchurch essex, send me PM if your nearby and we can arange to meet

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
furion, you got PM

·
749 Posts
A bit of an update, THE TMC WORKS with the 2009 map disks, it sort out the route takeing traffic reports into account and re-routes dynamically.

Hope that is of some help

Furion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts