Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you who are driven mad by annoying little rattles.. this may help.

For a couple of weeks I've been driven mad by a little tippety-tapping from the dashboard. After laying my hands on every possible part that could cause a rattle, I conceded that it would have to be a trip to the dealer... but then I had a brain wave. When the car was one year old it had a rattle coming from the dash when the car was accelerating through the 2000 rpm point... so, on the way to the dealer I realised that when the windscreen wipers were on, the rattle stopped, so I duely informed the treg-tech that I thought it was the plastic shroud covering the wiper mechanism along the bottom of the winscreen.. The treg-tech packed it out and solved the rattle.

So, last weekend I checked the shroud again and found that this could again be the cause. I packed the rattling area with sponge tape and Hey-presto.... Tippety-tapping cured..

So, if you hear any kind of rattle that you believe couldnt come from anywhere except inside the dash, then just check the plastic shroud beneath the windscreen and have a little tap on it with your fingers to see if it rattles.. it could cause you weeks of frustration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a very annoying rattle coming from the back left. I thought it was the safety triangle which was loosely secured in the panel so I have removed that but it seems that it wasnt the problem after all. It doesnt sound serious (I think) but it's a hollw sort of thud cluck that happens over small potholes / manhole drains and rougher road surfaces....

Any ideas team ??

Cheers

Greg

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the tyre pump secure in the spare wheel well, or anything else that may be in there? Are the seat belts hitting the plastic trim on the back seats? Are the back seats secure?

Just a few ideas... good luck.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Could it be the rear-seat back rest- this seems to be a common problem. I twice asked for mine to be check/fixed whilst under warranty- only to be told that they could not find a problem. I told the dealer the back-rest only rattled when the seat was empty but both times the mechanic must have sat in the back to listen for rattles as they said they could not fault it and then suggested ?trying again next time it was in?

On the US forum there are some posts on the subject:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/noise-from-the-rear-passenger-side-10686.html

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/irritating-noise-from-the-back-9677.html

Cas

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ramshackle said:
Wow.. this is a great forum you guys are really helpful. I'll check all of the above next time Im out.

Thanks
we aim to please

·
749 Posts
Tregger-Happy said:
For any of you who are driven mad by annoying little rattles.. this may help.

For a couple of weeks I've been driven mad by a little tippety-tapping from the dashboard. After laying my hands on every possible part that could cause a rattle, I conceded that it would have to be a trip to the dealer... but then I had a brain wave. When the car was one year old it had a rattle coming from the dash when the car was accelerating through the 2000 rpm point... so, on the way to the dealer I realised that when the windscreen wipers were on, the rattle stopped, so I duely informed the treg-tech that I thought it was the plastic shroud covering the wiper mechanism along the bottom of the winscreen.. The treg-tech packed it out and solved the rattle.

So, last weekend I checked the shroud again and found that this could again be the cause. I packed the rattling area with sponge tape and Hey-presto.... Tippety-tapping cured..

So, if you hear any kind of rattle that you believe couldnt come from anywhere except inside the dash, then just check the plastic shroud beneath the windscreen and have a little tap on it with your fingers to see if it rattles.. it could cause you weeks of frustration.
I had a avery annoying and worring knocking comming from the rear passenger area, going over bumps and corners now and then, having looked everywhere i couldnt find a damn thing and was about to go back to the dealer when i noticed my daughter had hung an wooden air freshner on the side piller vent behind the drivers seat !!!!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
A friend had an annoying knock on a nearly new Mercedes as he went around corners. If it was a left hand corner he'd hear the knock on the right and vice versa. The knock itself was preceded by a little rumble.

About 3 hours after he'd left it at the dealer's workshop they rang to say the car was ready.

On collecting it, they handed him a golf ball.

The raised hollow panel that ran from side to side and upon which the front seats were bolted had a hole in it just 2 or 3 millimetres larger than the ball which had rolled inside the beam and then from side to side as he cornered!

After that, the garage taped the hole in every car they sold or serviced!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find that my car can be almost silent and then on another day really rattley? I blame varying temperature for this, and sometimes after a full valet the car can seem quieter and smoother, could all be in my mind of course ha!

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
s4treg said:
Annoying Rattles, usually eminate from the wife
.....I usually find those are whining noises..........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts