Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn't seem correct once the site goes live, don't panic! We'll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What's next?

I bet you're thinking, "What does this mean for me and the community?" It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You'll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member's contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

·
Registered
123 Posts
On ClubPolo we run the latest version of this software package and it works well, it's also used on Briskoda and again runs nicely

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
If it's anything like the new software they brought in at clubtouareg a couple of years ago this will be a total feck up with zero technical back up to correct the crap which was demonstrated by complete and utter ignorance and disregard of what members needed on an owners' club website.

I think they got the work experience lad to design the site over a weekend.

They certainly hadn't got anyone competent to fix it promptly or effectively despite the howls of outrage.

It was an unmitigated disaster and many excellent members who contributed sound technical knowledge cleared off and have never returned.

The owners of these forums forget the sites only exist and work because WE, the contributors, make them what they are.

It would be nice to be proved wrong.....

We have talked about going our own way before on here.

All the threads and posts are OURS after all.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
If it's anything like the new software they brought in at clubtouareg a couple of years ago this will be a total feck up with zero technical back up to correct the crap which was demonstrated by complete and utter ignorance and disregard of what members needed on an owners' club website.

I think they got the work experience lad to design the site over a weekend.

They certainly hadn't got anyone competent to fix it promptly or effectively despite the howls of outrage.

It was an unmitigated disaster and many excellent members who contributed sound technical knowledge cleared off and have never returned.

The owners of these forums forget the sites only exist and work because WE, the contributors, make them what they are.

It would be nice to be proved wrong.....

We have talked about going our own way before on here.

All the threads and posts are OURS after all.....
Said I was leaving but I can't do it cold turkey lol

Always surprised me that this forum was dependant on others.

Back in the day I was a founder member of a VAG related car club. We registered our own domain name, arranged our own hosting and set up our own forum, not costly and not rocket science. That way you are in total control of your environment.

I suggest you guys do the same. If cost is an issue I'm sure some members would be happy to make a donation.

Our site had a Paid Members section, you had to be a PM to use the classified section and there was a seperate private section for PMs. Turned out to be devisive in the end but another idea to consider if funding is needed.

·
Elite Member
1,281 Posts
On one hand we should be grateful that they are fixing all those issues that we keep complaining about - besides the recent cookies issue I can't seem to find the other items right now

On the other hand maybe we will just be getting adverts more efficiently.

I doubt it's going to improve our experience significantly

·
Registered
252 Posts
Both the UK Saab forums I frequented (still visit!) are privately owned. One survives on advertising (not overly intrusive ads). The other on donations/ paid members.
I'm sure there's others with contacts but a friend at work runs a small hosting company on the side, with a few racks worth of hardware in a data centre. Very knowledgable guy, a fellow car nut and I'm sure he'd be interested in helping.

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
To put this in context for newer members, this site was set up and owned by an individual (Kaine Pritchett) in 2005 and we had a restricted subscription service for paid members. The site was subsequently sold and is now owned by Vertical Scope, a Toronto based multi-platform media company, who own and run a number of automotive sites.

I'm guessing here but don't think we will go back to a private members section but I would like to see some UK/EU based site sponsors that can offer members rewards and discounts on products related to the cars they own.. It would also be nice to have direct forum sponsorship and contact with VW so customer loyalty can also be rewarded. I'll enunciate my thoughts in more detail to the owners once I think through the issues which affect me as a user and a Mod, but hopefully the change will give everyone a better user experience and enhance the membership for everyone.

https://www.verticalscope.com/

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I operate several music (keyboard and organ) related forums, I have access to a web server situated on the backbone in canary wharf, I stand the cost (not much) in hosting and operating these forums. My pet hate and a complete deal breaker is being bombarded with adverts, a lot can be done with ad blockers but they still have an effect on the overall experience. If you guys on here want a new home to move to I'm more than happy to provide the internet real estate to host it etc.
It's very true what has been said by others on here and is one of my beliefs, a forum only exists because of it's members. That well know caravan forum were completely commercially led and took great offence if anyone pointed out just what a money making machine it was, the owners coining it in because of the contributions by the members in terms of content and some donations.

J

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Chances are we will lose all the historic content if ClubTouareg is anything to go by. If that happens then a new site might be a worthwhile idea.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not defending anyone here but perhaps it's a bit early to start off down a private forum route? That can always be done if it's found that everyones fears are realised after their migration with nothing lost by the sounds of it.

Maybe a poll of members of this forum a few weeks after the migration to review the impacts at that point.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm not worried either way, I don't even have a Touareg any more but the guys on here are a decent set and I feel they deserve more than is got from here, they should have greater control. That's why I made the offer, I'm quite happy to sit in the wings no matter what.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not defending anyone here but perhaps it's a bit early to start off down a private forum route? That can always be done if it's found that everyones fears are realised after their migration with nothing lost by the sounds of it.

Maybe a poll of members of this forum a few weeks after the migration to review the impacts at that point.
I've only been here 5 minutes so very much not my call. However, this sounds like a very sensible way to go

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only thing that occurs to me is this . . We are in the age of software updates, for our phones, computers, cars,TVs, in fact anything with software will be updated at least once in it's lifetime
I also am an owner of an Italian car website and we are on our 3rd update over the 12 years of operation and looking at a 4th update soon
Mostly what changes is the look and a few tools (search, posting and pictures being 3 that occur regularly)
I think that we should give the programmers and administrators a chance to get their vision of the 'new' myTreg up and running and hope that much doesn't change dramatically
Fingers crossed that all goes well and we're throwing the baby out with the bathwater in worrying about what might happen??
One thing for sure is, there's a great bunch of members here and I look forward to catching up with ye on the other side ????

P.S. Admin, please don't feck it up with loads of advertising, I know it pays for things, but I also realise that if something is 'free' then the user is the commodity and you will leak users if the site becomes unmanageable for the day to day users ????

P.P.S. welcome back ColinT ????

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
As per my first post, these guys have a track record of messing up good forums, and it wasn't just clubtouareg they screwed up so badly that many good contributors left, never to return.

The site designers clearly did not have a clue about what was important to site users.

Despite being told many times about problems, fixes took weeks and months with daft platitudes being issued.

At the time it was a huge relief that they left little old mytreg untouched.

On their past, utterly inept performance I simply don't trust this site's current, so-called "owners" to deliver. Pure and simple.

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
I thought I would find the relevant "WTF?" thread on clubtouareg and post it here to demonstrate the frustration with virtuallyuselessscope but after reading though it - and the other two "this new site is crap" threads - I thought I'd spare you an hour's reading albeit that the posts therein, a number from members with technical web experience, merely served to reinforce my previous thoughts.

The person I already have concerns for is Cass. Without him (and roytour too) this site would probably have packed up altogether by now anyway.

I just hope the transition to the new site will not be the last straw.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You need to add yourself to the list of names too Nooby, you keep the house in order and apply a lot of common sense, decency and straight talking.

J

·
Registered
112 Posts
You need to add yourself to the list of names too Nooby, you keep the house in order and apply a lot of common sense, decency and straight talking.

J
+1 ????

Now Nooby, turn your frown upside down (and cross your fingers ????) ????

·
Administrator
225 Posts
I want to give you an update on the process I use once the site goes live with the new platform.

The night before the site goes live you will see an announcement from me that the site will be going live soon. Once the actual process starts, the site will be in read-only mode while the team does the migration from the old platform to the new one.

Once it goes live you will see an announcement thread created here in this section. All questions and feedback about the new platform should be posted ONLY in that thread.

• You will see me reply to the thread introducing myself.
  • I will add a new signature and avatar to the admin account.
What should you be doing now before this happens?

• Make sure your email address is up to date in your account.
  • If you don't remember your password, now would be a good time to reset it. Save the information.
When Will This All Happen?

mytreg.com is currently scheduled for June 7, 2021. HOWEVER, the schedule is very fluid, so that could change depending on any complications or schedule changes. I am simply giving you a heads up.

As your dedicated support, I will be here with you multiple times a day once the site goes live with the new platform, answering questions, and listening to feedback.

My only request is that you remain patient with us while we work through the changes.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Community Announcement: New Forum Software Going Live Soon!

Dear Members,

Your new site will be going live soon! We are almost at the starting line and are really excited for you to experience the new community platform.

When the migration starts shortly, the site will be put into maintenance read-only mode (late tonight or early tomorrow morning) while the migration is underway until completion. We will post when the process is complete and the site is live. We look forward to your feedback and first impressions in the "Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!" thread.

You will have dedicated support to help you transition to the new format.

I will be here to answer your questions and help you every step of the way.

- Cricket

Special Note: To avoid any confusion, I will be closing this thread now. All new comments will be posted to the "Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!" thread once the migration to the new software is complete.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.