Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, please please please can someone help with my quandary… I have a 2007 Touareg and my audio has no bass or mid range at all. I have tried to locate the amplifier as I suspect there is and issue… but where is it?? The forums all say it’s above the changer in the boot but there is nothing there.??? I removed all of the trim and still nothing. Are there any other locations where this could be and how can I tell if I have one?? I had a spare headunit which I tried and it’s the same with that… can’t seem to find the amp location info anywhere.. please help

·
Registered
280 Posts
The dealers maintenance manual shows it above the CD unit in the right side of the boot behind the trim, but the amp was a costly option so you might not have one fitted the only way would be to put all the PR codes from the sticker in the boot or in the service booklet into one of the online decoders and see if it left the factory with one specced, but as there is nothing above the CD unit it looks like it wasn't an option originally requested

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, just needed it confirmed that it wouldn’t be factory fitted anywhere else. Just the remaining question would be why all of the bass and mid has dropped off when the headunit is fine? Best do some more digging!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Font Parallel Art Rectangle Engineering

#2 is the audio amp

Looking at the wiring diagrams the speaker feed comes out from the HU to 4 pin connectors at the A & B pillar coupling stations

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly where the amp is not located so it confirms I haven't got one. Thanks. Looks like the loom for the heat unit heads of the passenger side so it'll be case if tracing and removing panels/wires. There must be some other control unit or crossovers somewhere as all tweeters are working fine?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering

Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Technology

R2 is front left pins 3 & 7
R3 is front right pins 2 & 6
R4 is rear left pins 4 & 8
R5 is rear right pins 1 & 5

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
Good stuff Nige!
Let us know how you get on Chris.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... I removed the passenger door card and all looks ok. It is evident that the previous owner has installed a separate amp etc in the past as there are redundant speaker wire and aftermarket tweeters. I rigged up a separate stereo and hardwired the bass speaker in the door and it works fine so no issue there. When playing the original stereo you can just about hear the high frequencies from the bass speaker it just seems like all of the bass and mid has disappeared?? There must be a junction where the speaker wires obviously change from the blue/browns and red/browns to the final colours at the speakers - possibly a problem there? Not knowing what the previous owner got up to casts doubt on whether when things were removed have they done something to cause this issue? Again anyone's help will be appreciated.......

·
Registered
280 Posts
According to those dealers wiring diagrams the feed comes out from the HU to the 4 pin connector at bottom of the A & B pillar disconnect stations, from there the wiring colours do change from those coming from the HU

·
Registered
280 Posts
A Pillar coupling station
Font Parallel Rectangle Electric blue Engineering

B pillar coupling station
Gesture Rectangle Font Parallel Art

That is the left side stations, right are in the same positions and in all cases it's connector A the 4 pin one the others are 5 & 21 pin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We’ll no joy again today. Everything looks fine with the wiring, might invest in a android head unit anyway but still not convinced… thanks for all your help chaps!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Did you do continuity checks from the HU to the door pillar disconnect stations ?

·
Registered
280 Posts
OK if that was all good it must be something in the door wiring or as the bass speaker acts as a path to the tweeters maybe that's gone bad ?

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
Sounds like a bit of a challenge when dealing with a previous owner’s DIY work. It might be the case that the OEM head unit was replaced with a third party unit and then reinstalled when the car was sold. Good luck checking all the OEM wiring and checking the continuity 👍

As others have stated, the amp was an option and not a common one at that 🤔

·
Registered
61 Posts
We’ll no joy again today. Everything looks fine with the wiring, might invest in a android head unit anyway but still not convinced… thanks for all your help chaps!
I've been thinking on an Android head unit too - did you get to the point of researching yet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts