Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I may be totally out of touch with social media, as I don’t do it, but is this new site the way things are now done?
I’m getting messages saying ‘someone likes you’, ‘I keep coming back’ etc.
Have I inadvertently joined a dating app?!
Thankfully the members are the same, but come on, do I need a medal for making a post?!
Great members, and knowledge shared on here, but the other childish rubbish that is now popping up is not an improvement, it’s a backward step in my opinion, and I really can’t see how anything has improved.
Maybe I’m just a dinosaur, ( probably get another medal for that)
Sorry guys, groan over

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Well I may be totally out of touch with social media, as I don’t do it, but is this new site the way things are now done?
I’m getting messages saying ‘someone likes you’, ‘I keep coming back’ etc.
Have I inadvertently joined a dating app?!
Thankfully the members are the same, but come on, do I need a medal for making a post?!
Great members, and knowledge shared on here, but the other childish rubbish that is now popping up is not an improvement, it’s a backward step in my opinion, and I really can’t see how anything has improved.
Maybe I’m just a dinosaur, ( probably get another medal for that)
Sorry guys, groan over

Well i don't do any social media either. I had noticed that i had won a trophy and other stuff besides. Its not an irritant to me but is rather childish, imo.

As an old fart i concluded i am not perhaps the typical membership type the forum owners are seeking. But given Touaregs are not exactly a hip young mans dream machine perhaps the forum owners have got that element wrong?

Its not a bother to me though.☺

·
Elite Member
1,277 Posts
Unfortunately it's the way of the Internet world.
If you want free access then there has to be a revenue stream to fund it.
I suspect that by signing up to the forum there is some agreement that they can send you notifications and all sorts of other e mither.

You can reduce the spam by clicking on your avatar, go to account settings and then preferences and untivk everything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cheers, can’t really see how they they gain revenue from telling me someone likes me and giving me ‘rewards’ , That’s what I find so childish, would rather have ads pop up that I ignore......perhaps I am Victor Meldrew reincarnated

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Ok cheers, can’t really see how they they gain revenue from telling me someone likes me and giving me ‘rewards’ , That’s what I find so childish, would rather have ads pop up that I ignore......perhaps I am Victor Meldrew reincarnated

You cant be VM reincarnated! Thats me, according to my family😁

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing like a good moan to cheer me up! Every box now unticked, no idea what half of them meant, let’s see what happens. Thanks for the pointers Shytot

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
When clubtouareg went through this two years ago it was as though they'd got the work experience boy to design the site hence the concerns I expressed before the change.

The daft messages and beyond stupid "awards" may be suitable for a Vauxhall Corsa site but for a premium SUV site they are pathetic.

·
Registered
2020 white SEL
15 Posts
The like /dislike function is the norm on all the forums i use , so it doesn't worry me in the least. To me it is used mainly to thank others for interesting and informative posts. Sarakina's epic journey has been about one of the most interesting threads on here in the five or six years that I've used the forum.

The forum needs refreshing and there is a need to get away from, what I find to be patronising posts to new members. Nothing worse than a welcome to a forum than a post identical to that sent to other members. The same old speil has been posted to all new members for at least five or six years.

It's probably why more people use Club Touareg now than this forum, BTW I I'm a geriatric on my last legs and even when i migrated to Lexus for a while i still referred back to this forum and club Touareg occasionally :)

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
Cass is now effectively a one man band and at least every new member gets a welcome unlike those joining clubtouareg.

It may be the same old spiel but to a new member it is new and, from past experience of naive buyers (and many of us were just that when we bought our first Touareg thinking that as it's a VW it must be reliable!) it's best to offer advice at the level of the lowest common denominator.

People can either use the advice or ignore it - it's their choice - but at least it's been offered.

At least on here we can have a laugh and don't suffer some of more aggressive posts that have got a number of people banned on CT over the years!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts