Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We are the proud owners of a new 3.0 l V6 Altitude in Diamond Black and have been setting our preferences on the MFD but are unable to alter the 'Speed unit' from kl/hr to mph. Even though the manual says that there is a facility to do this I can't find it. My main dealer says that it cannot be done. I find this very difficult to believe as the MFD is just a simple computer. Can anyone give me advice on this?
Every faith in the forum.posting.php?mode=post&f=42#
Bryn

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Bryn

I've tried to do this myself. Unfortunately, I don't think that you can change the km/h display even though you can change the speed units; I think what the manual is referring to here is the speed units for the cruise control and average speed data.

If I'm wrong I'll be really pleased as it annoys the hell out of me too! How are you enjoying your Touareg apart from this issue? Do post and tell us in the Readers Drives section - you'll be very welcome.

Chris

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris
It is very annoying because as you will have noticed, the cruise control speed is immediately above the road speed on the screen and any adjustments to cruise setting would be far easier if the two are compatible. I can't believe that VW would overlook such an important fact when designing for the UK, or indeed the US markets. There must be a way!
We are very pleased with our Touareg after selling our 12 year old Passat and Discovery. We now have the best of both worlds.
I am new to forums. hope I am using it OK.
best regards
Bryn

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Bryn said:
It is very annoying because as you will have noticed
Don't worry - you get used to it! My current obsessive compulsion is trying to set the cruise using the speedo dial and hitting 'set' dead on 60, 65, 70 etc. http://myTreg.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7102&start=0

Bryn said:
Just using it is a start! It's great to have you aboard. Keep in touch - we are here to help (or just laugh, as required ...)

Welcome!

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Bryn said:
Hi Chris
It is very annoying because as you will have noticed, the cruise control speed is immediately above the road speed on the screen and any adjustments to cruise setting would be far easier if the two are compatible. I can't believe that VW would overlook such an important fact when designing for the UK, or indeed the US markets. There must be a way!
We are very pleased with our Touareg after selling our 12 year old Passat and Discovery. We now have the best of both worlds.
best regards
Bryn
Hi Bryn, yes I have the same problem. I just ignore it. I hope you are enjoying your new motor. Which vw dealership did you use?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hi Bryn,

I think (from memory here) the only reason the km/hr indication is even their at all is because the main dials only show mph (probably going to prove myself wrong once i get back to the car later) - the km/hr is therefore included for when driving overseas etc

Kaine

getting ready to be proven wrong :oops:

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kaine
You may well be right but for our part we intend to keep our Treg for at least 10-12 years as we did with our previous Passat and have no intention whatsoever of driving overseas.Even so it clearly states in the manual, bottom of page 27 'Speed Unit - Allows you to change the unit of speed used in the display (km/h-mph)' . And if you did drive overseas you would probably have to alter the clock time (which is easy) so why not the speed units. I know I am like a dog with a bone here but I still cant believe that it is not possible. Does anyone know who is the big noise at VW we can throw this one at?
posting.php?mode=reply&f=42&t=7456#

Hi Staffs, we bought from Stafford VW.

Bryn

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
I'm sure it's a EU requirement that all car speedo's must show road speed in both mph and kph. As there are no corresponding kph increments in the mph speedo (unlike other cars), that's probably why we have got a digital kph display in the instrument cluster as well.

Cass

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Let me get this right.

If I've read this accurately, in the next 10-12 years, the car will not going anywhere that uses kph and will remain in the UK where we only use mph.

So what's the problem?

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi noobytoogy
Yes that's right. We kept our previous Passat for 11 years (now run by my daughters family and it is still going strong). I will be 70 next February and have done all of my overseas driving. We are only talking about a small computer here so must be programmable. At one time it must have been possible to alter kl/hr to mph because the manual says so. So if it were made simple anyone travelling overseas could change back to kl/hr when they alter their clock to suit the time zone. Where is the problem with that?
Bryn

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Didn't realise the OP was trying to fix a problem for anyone else who might go abroad.

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
He wasn't noobs. He wants to be able to have a digital speed display in mph ...

S'not difficult this, if you pay attention, cloth ears ...

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
Not cloth ears, just cloth eyes! Got it now!!

Buy an Origin B2!

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Kaine. I look forward to your findings.

And thanks to Wurzel for your backing.

Bryn

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is interesting DaveMc. What is the age of your treg because I have set my consumption on MPG and the total miles & trip to miles but the road speed is still kl/hr. I have had my new treg about a month.

Bryn

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Andy

let's see if we can keep these youngun's on their toes and give them something to think about. They claim to know everything about computers after all???

Bryn :roll:

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Bryn said:
... They claim to know everything about computers after all???
Yes, we are quite something huh? But even I didn't know you had to let the hamsters out to eat and drink occasionally ...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts