Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get a set of 19" Kahn RS-V's but the offset is incorrect at ET 35. I've a 2.5TDI Touareg and I know the offset is supposed to be ET 50 on the touareg. Would these fit? (If so what would I need to get to make them fit - spacers etc?)

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
I assume you've checked the pcd is correct for the wheel bolts?

·
Registered
187 Posts
....know this is an old post, but it may help others. You need to consider the rim width as well as the offset.

The standard offset of et50 means that the mounting face of the wheel is OUTBOARD of the wheel centreline by a distance of 50mm. Assuming the standard wheel rim is, for example, 9" (229mm), the outer plane of the wheel (rim) will be a distance of 64.5mm from the hub. (229/2)-50 = 64.5

If you were to now fit 10" (254mm) wide rims, with an et35 offset, the outer plane of the new wheels would be 92mm. (254/2)-35 = 92. Your new 10"/et35 rims would be protruding 27.5mm (92-64.5) beyond the plane of your existing 9"/et50 rims. You would have effectively increased the track of your vehicle by 30mm (50-35)x2

Maybe not too much of a problem if running the same diameter, but if you go up an 1" or 2" on wheel diameter you run the risk of the wheels/tyres fouling the arches on suspension compression, or fouling bodywork/suspension arms etc at some point between steering lock to lock.

By sticking to the original offset as standard, when considering larger diameter wheels, you reduce the risk of tyres fouling, assuming the new wheel width is also close to original width. In some cases, sterring angle stops need to be fitted to prevent replacement wheels fouling. This allows you to fit lesser offsets (reducing et** number means that the wheels will stick out farther for a given rim width) and larger diameters.

There are also a number of other issues you need to consider....excessively wider wheels/tyres will create higher loads on the PAS & suspension components. Combine this will lesser offsets and you start to put much higher forces on wheel bearings. I suspect the Touaregs have quite a bit of everything in reserve here, you won't probably get catastrophic failure of any one item but you may experience higher wear rates due to the extra continuous loadings.

Had a friend once who had a Morris Minor with standard pressed steel wheels. They had quite a high offset (the Wheels were basically concave faces). He found that he could flip the wheels and ended up with that "Carlos Fandango" look - must admit the car looked awesome......within a week all 4x wheel bearings were grumbling - he renewed them on the basis that they wanted replacing anyway. Within a month the new sets were grumbling once again. I know technology/quality has moved on, and this change of offset was immense (something like +50 to -50 on a 4.5" rim), but you get the idea. The standard bearings were never designed to take the loads imposed by such a wheel offset.

The toureg has a lot of wheel arch space to play with, so your options are better than average. Best thing to do is Google "alloy wheels" and visit the wheel sites you find. Most have a search function where you can enter your tyre/model/year and they will list suitable wheels. Make a note of the diameters/widths/offsets of each wheel on offer so you get a range of acceptable fitments that will work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts