Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day T-reggers,
I have a 2010 Touareg 3.0 TDI with the Aisin 09D transmission. When getting off the line quickly, it's always a laggy experience getting into 2nd gear. The engine seems to run out of steam around 2,500-3k RPMs. Only way to get into 2nd gear sub 2,100 RPMs is to apply super light throttle, but it takes forever anyways. Once in second gear, I can drop all the torque and be gone. I know there aren't any issues with my transmission despite needing a fluid change by now (90k miles). Every gear engages really nicely.

My mom had a 2008 Cayenne S back in the day with the same transmission. On the Cayenne, and maybe someone can speak for a gas Touareg, it would allow you to do 2nd gear start or shift into 2nd despite at like 1,500 RPMs.

My question is; Is there any way to make our transmission upshift sooner on first gear or allow for 2nd gear shifts? I've tried different coding options for the transmission and got it to display D# (gear number). ROW transmission code seems to hold onto 1st gear a little longer, so I'm back to the US code. I also tried a gearbox reset with the accelerator pedal trick and an adaptation reset through OBD to no avail. Would love to hear any input on it from fellow T1 and T2 owners before I go trade on a T3 for that 8 speed trans. Just love my T2 for other terrains though
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
139 Posts
Morning, I'm playing devils advocate here but how do you know that the ATF is OK? I'm asking as I had a CC that was showing simlar symptoms to yours and an ATF change fixed the issue. I looked into an ATF change for mine recently and the oil here is £39/litre - mechanic said to leave it unless it's showing signs of not playing properly. In theory it's supposed to be a sealed-for-life unit but I get there are many that change the fluid between 60K-80K miles.

I've not had the 6sp to know but I would agree that my 8sp 2011 does change typically at just over 1500RPM automatically...

Reactions: sbo95

·
Registered
324 Posts
You could also try a gearbox software reset :unsure:
With the vehicle parked, engine off, press the accelerator pedal to the floor, turn on the ignition key but don't start and wait 10-15 seconds, switch off, release the accelerator pedal and wait a minute or so, start normally, the system should now be reset.
As the system is adaptive, you should now find that the changes should be smoother and the system will learn your driving style

·
Chairman
20,402 Posts
He's done the reset

It's a known issue if you have driven a Cayenne for comparison.

There is a current thread on this over on clubtouareg.com
Just buy a Cayenne!

Reactions: sbo95

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morning, I'm playing devils advocate here but how do you know that the ATF is OK? I'm asking as I had a CC that was showing simlar symptoms to yours and an ATF change fixed the issue. I looked into an ATF change for mine recently and the oil here is £39/litre - mechanic said to leave it unless it's showing signs of not playing properly. In theory it's supposed to be a sealed-for-life unit but I get there are many that change the fluid between 60K-80K miles.

I've not had the 6sp to know but I would agree that my 8sp 2011 does change typically at just over 1500RPM automatically...
I love a good devil's advocate. So, I only say that because mine feels so closely to what my mom's Cayenne did new back in the day. Regardless, it's time to change the filter and fluid before the valve body becomes an issue. I was at the shop when someone in a '08 Cayenne GTS came in with rough shifts after a fluid flush bc he waited too long. Thankfully mine is still smooooth
So I will do that as it's good maintenance, but I think the issue with shift timing is more software related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's done the reset

It's a known issue if you have driven a Cayenne for comparison.

There is a current thread on this over on clubtouareg.com
Just buy a Cayenne!
Thank you! I will go give it a search. And maybe find a Cayenne Diesel in the process

1 - 7 of 7 Posts