Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a towbar fitted with twin electrics (not at dealer) and now I have a fault displayed regarding airbag. Can anyone shed any light on the problem / what the cause may be?? Was no problem before fitting of towbar.
 
G

·
Grasping at straws - but it isn't just that the dashboard de-activating switch got pushed accidentally, was it?

Cheers, Andy
 
G

·
ingin69 said:
Just had a towbar fitted with twin electrics (not at dealer) and now I have a fault displayed regarding airbag. Can anyone shed any light on the problem / what the cause may be?? Was no problem before fitting of towbar.
What year of Touareg have you got??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
hi,had this happen to my car.had detachable towbar fitted by fitters recommended by the stealers and the airbag warning light was on when i picked it up,i think its because the battery was disconnected and the sensor needs to be reset by the stealers.i was lucky at the time, it was due a service and was done during.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bnl][quote=ingin69 said:
Just had a towbar fitted with twin electrics (not at dealer) and now I have a fault displayed regarding airbag. Can anyone shed any light on the problem / what the cause may be?? Was no problem before fitting of towbar.
What year of Touareg have you got??[/quote]

Its a Jan 2005 V6 TDI
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
43 Posts
Hi There,
Must be the season for fitting towbars!! - I have just installed and partly wired up my towbar but just need to connect into the fuse box. It depends if its a genuine VW wiring loom / tow control box or a spliced in loom. The earth point in the boot is used for the tow bar aswell as the curtain airbag & crash sensor. Some people with none VW looms have had to use a diferent earth point. If it's all VW kit then the car must have been started with some off the airbag circuit components disconnected - this leaves in a latched fault code (Dash light) which VW or someone with Vagcon can reset.

PS I have vagcom and live in Aberdeen


I can read the code and see whats at fault and reset if required.

Cheers
Simon
 

·
Member
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rennie said:
Hi There,
Must be the season for fitting towbars!! - I have just installed and partly wired up my towbar but just need to connect into the fuse box. It depends if its a genuine VW wiring loom / tow control box or a spliced in loom. The earth point in the boot is used for the tow bar aswell as the curtain airbag & crash sensor. Some people with none VW looms have had to use a diferent earth point. If it's all VW kit then the car must have been started with some off the airbag circuit components disconnected - this leaves in a latched fault code (Dash light) which VW or someone with Vagcon can reset.

PS I have vagcom and live in Aberdeen


I can read the code and see whats at fault and reset if required.

Cheers
Simon
Thanks for the info, I seem to remember reading somewhere about it being associated with an earth? I have it booked into Aberdeen Volks Centre in Kingswell for a diagnostic check and Buckley's (where I had the towbar fitted) are going to pay the costs associated with what needs to be done. They haven't used a VW kit and have spliced into the wiring loom. Hopefully its something simple, maybe just needing reset. Thanks for your help and the offer of reset. I might just contact you in the future if I have any problems if thats okay.

Cheers

Mark
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
43 Posts
Keep us posted with the cause - always good for searching for fellow owners


No worries about reading codes etc. in the future - Hopefully I will keep learning and find out some tricks with the vagcom :mrgreen:

Simon
 
G

·
rennie said:
Keep us posted with the cause - always good for searching for fellow owners


No worries about reading codes etc. in the future - Hopefully I will keep learning and find out some tricks with the vagcom :mrgreen:

Simon
Obviously your 'new' to using VAGCOM, be very careful if your doing a scan on 'airbags' you can do some serious damage to the controllers by not following the correct procedure.

The best tip(s) i'll give you with VAGCOM on the Touareg is to turn off the annoying seat belt chime and the 'six gun salute' is a good one where you can recode the soft coding, to allow the Front Fogs & Both of the dip beams all to stay on when you select high / main beam.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,682 Posts
Six gun salute - I like the sound of that


Cass
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
43 Posts
Yep new to Vagcom but have already reset airbags numerous times would never want to adapt them
It's more the softcoding and adaptions I havent really played around with. Although my remote parking heater should be working this weekend after some initial testing


Always wear my belt so not bothered about chimes


Cheers
Si
 

·
Member
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car onto independant VW specialist today and diagniosed as short to earth on passenger side head bag. Must have been when towbar fitter disconnected earth. Just needed reset so all okay now.
 
G

·
ingin69 said:
Car onto independant VW specialist today and diagniosed as short to earth on passenger side head bag. Must have been when towbar fitter disconnected earth. Just needed reset so all okay now.
This problem is often caused by a poor connection under the passenger seat. This happens when the seat gets moved forth and back, the white multiplug connector should be separated ( battery disconnected and left for 10 mins first )
with the multplug separated, spray the pins with WD40 then reconnect, then reconnect the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Touareg, when I went to the service first time., they told me that the airbag needed to get changed, I found this odd as this just happend over the night and there was clearly no fault with the airbag. then I read about the same problem on other touaregs and a cable getting messed up, I went back to the service and they changed the cable. The airbag fault is gone now:)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top