Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few mentions of Airbag faults and could do with some advice.

I bought my Sept 2004 54 2.5 R5 Treg as an approved VW last September, with the 12 months "All Component" warranty.

When the Airbag warning light on my came on I took it to my local dealer who said that the diagnosis software showed that the fault was in the wiring under the front seats. They said that there is a known fault with a pair of connectors for which the solution is to cut off the connectors and rejoin the wires with an in line connector. They said that this repair had already been done (and I can see that it has by looking under the seat where the repaired wires are marked with yellow tape) and this being the case a new wiring loom would be required.

I asked how they would fit the new loom if the connector that the new loom would join to has been removed, and they told me that they would need to cut off the connector on the new loom and join it in the same way. Surely this could cause the same problem later on?

Additionally, although the warranty is called "All Component" it apparently doesn't cover wiring as this is regarded as a wear and tear item! The cost of the looms is only about ?12 a side but with labour the job will cost about ?300. The looms are currently on back order so I'm waiting for the stock to arrive.

My questions that I would appreciate some advice on are:

1. Has anybody had the same problem?

2. Is there a better way to fix the problem than cutting the connectors off 2 new wiring looms?

3. As this is a known fault that has already had an attempted repair, is there someone in VW that I could contact to get them to agree to cover the cost?

4. Is there any documentation or proof that I can obtain to show that this is a known fault?

Thanks for reading this

Regards

G

·
I think you need to deal with VW directly. You might start at Luxury Car Support (see General Discussion forum here for tel number). It is certainly a known problem and I don't think you should be obliged to accept a further bodge of a bodge which hasn't worked.

Cheers, Andy

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have raised this with the Luxury Car Support team who are trying to find out if cutting the connectors off the loom is the recommended repair.

From what the dealer told me this is a common fault and I would welcome input from forum members who have had the same issue. For a VW designated "luxury" car this seems such a bodge.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ahujapradeep.

The wiring looms have now arrived after being back ordered (seems a long time for parts for a known and common fault - I would have thought that VW would have made sure that they had a stock of them) and my car is booked in foir Wednesday.

I'd be interested to know the resolution of your fault, as with my having to pay for the repair I'm not going to pay for them do something to my car that I consider a bodge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts