Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06, 3.0V6 diesel (12k miles) with the air suspension option fitted. Is there anyone else on the forum that has a similar model that can advise me on what ride quality to expect. Mine seems far too hard/harsh. Hard enough to cause the interior fittings in the car to rattle as it bangs over rough road surfaces. It rattles more like a worn out taxi that's done 150k miles than a luxury car that's only covered only 12k miles. This is most obvious when I drive along our typical suburban roads where numerous utility companies have done there best to make the road more like an assault course! Somehow it doesn't seem right, but it's difficult to prove it one way or other. Curiously it seems better sometimes than others which makes me concerned that the intelligent suspension is ocassionally getting confused. The dealer can't fault the car, although they admit that they have little experience with the air suspension models. In saying that the delivery driver felt that I had a point.

What's the thumbwheel button for that's marked comfort/sport/automatic? It seems obvious but it makes no difference to my car whatever it's set for. If I change it the car does go through it's up & down part piece but other than that - no difference to the ride.

Any advice from fellow air suspension owners would be appreciated as it's taking the edge off what in every other respect is a great car.

G

·
Hi hdsbob,

Most of the time I run mine in auto as this seems to give the best quality ride for the day to day mix of country/A roads that I use. Comfort is for "wafting" up the M6 to Scotland and Sport for when I am running late

I definately feel the difference in my settings but I can't help feel that the overall ride is a little harsh due to the 20's with 40 profile rubber that I am rolling on. I am actually considering a set of 19's with 45 profile rubber at the moment as I believe this will improve the overall handling.

What wheel/tyre combo are you running?

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
I thought about this whilst I was out this afternoon and I think ToyBoy's on the right lines.

There should be a difference in the ride quality depending upon how the button is set as we talked about it only yesterday at the Treg play day, but I don't know how you can check this out . . . other than go to a different dealer for another opnion.

However, back to ToyBoy - the larger the wheels and the lower the tyre profile, the harsher the ride - air or not. It's simple physics really - if you haven't got much air between the wheel and road there is a lot less give, and the tyre walls will be stiffer too.

But unless someone on here gives you better advice, I'd definitely ask another dealer to look at it ASAP.

·
3,680 Posts
I had the air suspension on three of my Tregs.

Once you reach a certain motorway speed and you have it in auto it will automatically go into sport mode and lower the car slightly.

I always had ours in auto mode never felt the car as being harsh on any road condition and I had 20's for rim size.

have you checked the simple things like tyre pressure and tyre wear wrong pressure and 4mm tread will not help things.

·
318 Posts
Hdsbob,

It does sound as if there is a problem.

Last Treg had air and was on 20" rims, but there was a marked difference between Sport and Comfort modes. I used to leave it on Auto most of the time, but if I was a bit over zealous it would adapt to whatever I was doing and would lower the car at higher speeds.

Comfort - raises the car, longer suspension travel, bouncier/comfortable ride.
Sport - lowers the car, stiffer shorter suspension travel, less bounce/body roll/comfort.
Auto - Supposed to decide for you depending on your driving style

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the car is running on standard factory wheels/tyres, but given that everyone says there is a difference between the three ride settings, then I will take your advice and will try another dealer. I will post the results in case it is useful to anyone else with similar issues.

G

·
Any joy?

I have a 3.0 tdi v6 with Air and there is a very noticeable difference. Like others I use comfort on motorways and also off-road.

Jon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts