Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Help?? I've just had the beast serviced. a day after picking it up the ?Warning light has come on. From reading previous threads it appears there a fault in the harness
Could anyone tell me where this harness is and how to get to it.

Regards

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
How old is the vehicle? It should have been fixed as part of a recall. I think a trip to the dealers is warranted.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I had a problem with my 54 R5.

The issue was the wiring harness under the seats (presumably connected to the seat side airbags). It seems that the problem is with the connector blocks at the ends of the harness losing a good connection so the system check senses a fault.
(I'm not completely sure on this - but from what I remember the airbag wiring is identified by yellow connector blocks).

It was not a recall but rather a known fault for which the official recommended fix is to cut off the connector blocks and reconnect the wires with crimp terminals. My car is covered by the used car warranty which specifically excludes any wiring faults so I had to pay. However I did get a goodwill contribution from VW luxury car support.

The passenger side was repaired in September and I have just had to return the car for the same fault on the driver's side. Cost was ?140 and I'm hoping to get a contribution from VW again.

Let me know if I can help further.

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a update, car went into dealers they identified the fault ( connection under seat. surprise) and repaired it free of charge.
They did say if it happened again they would have to remove the seats and hard wire the switches in, but V.W would be paying them for this work.. Appears they've accepted it's a design fault.

steve

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Yep, ours is due back in for this to be sorted....again... :roll:

Edited to add: Just been advised that ours is down to the "angle sensor behind the steering wheel".....off to rattle Luxury Car Support as, although car now out of warranty, this has been happening for a while.....wish me luck!

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the repair lasted a whole day before the fault has re-occurred, dealer says the seats have to come out for " the other Fix" to be carried out.

Does anyone know if the airbag safety system is inoperable because of this fault>> If so shouldn't the cost of repair be covered by the manufacture as a safety design fault. Irregardless of whether the vehicle in inside or outside the standard or extended warranty periods.

I'll contact luxury support team tomorrow to see if they'll pay.

Will up-date tomorrow with there reply.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Emailed details to lux. support yesterday - silence has been deafening since..... :roll:

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi.. update. Car has been booked in to have the seats out and proper fix?????, registered my complaint with luxury support, who've said they'll liaise with the dealer to resolve this problem??? asked who's paying and until the dealers have identified the exact fault they can't comment. However they will keep me updated. i'll post any costs incurred and the final outcome.
Dealer will give courtesy car so not to inconvenienced.

Steve

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just be aware that VW will get the dealer to carry out the cheapest fix first, often this only works for a short while...

...thus you are going back in for the seat out job.

I had it with stepper motor/diff/transfer box issues, however the dealer admitted it hadn't worked and kept the treg until the more costly fix was completed.

You have all been warned.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Been offered 55% contribution towards parts and labour cost......

·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the air bag fault has been fixed, Dealer charged ?100.00 inc vat, I rang Luxury Support and quoted the REference No they gave me and when they checked to file that case had been closed.. They never bothered to contact the dealer like they said they would and liaise with the dealer to ensure customer satisfaction. When i asked why they didn't know?? but will re-open the case and have a manager contact me to resolve this.... Still waiting.

Picked the car up Tuesday did 1000 miles Wed and Thurs and it broke down Thurs night... back to the dealers. after testing identified the fault to a speed sensor. Should be fixed for Tuesday.. Not proving to be very reliable!!!!

Steve

·
21 Posts
Air Bag fault light came on a few months ago. Left it due to Service/MOT needed. Also thought it would be the know fault with the cables under the seats.
Dealer rang me to say that they had used up the 1/2 Hour (?30.00) Investigation time & found that the Diag's reported a problem with Stearing wheel bag. They wanted 3 Hours (?280.00) to investigate & even then no gauranteed solution!(????)
Told that Air Bags are covered under extended VW warrenty. My car is 05 & with no extended warrenty.
I called Luxury cars & we are still discussing it.
My main point is that the Diag's (I have the print out) state Igniter 2 for driver airbag-N250 upper limit exceeded.
Why should I pay the best part of ?300.00 to investigate the problem that has been reported! Why don't they just fix it?
Is the dealer (Citygate Ruislip) just trying to get more ? off me?

As an aside I was pleased to find 1Ltr of Long Life topup Oil in a zip up nylon bag. Nice touch, until I saw that I had been charged for it in the Service ?15.00. ?45.00 for new wiper blades, would have failed the MOT without. Still smear in centre. Wiper arm problem!

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Dealers have tried to catch me out with the nice bottle of oil in a dainty zip up bag with gloves and a cardboard funnel so I now tell them beforehand: "No spare oil required, thank you", and "I won't pay your daft prices for a screenwash top up either so I did it myself this morning!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts