Chairman
19,925 Posts
Update . . .

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Well just this morning we have been to the Police immigration officer, who ultimately issued a pre biometric card receipt for a full residents permit.

I then went straight to the import agent who hopes he can get the car re-registration sorted from that, and not wait for the full card. As the car was 'imported tax free' by way of embassy papers the local reg plate will be white with red digits, looking something like this. These are a temporary path to full integration.

All the officialdom is nearing completion now. Its not hard work as such but is rather involved. Fluent speaking local expats are a godsend. My wifes Greek is pretty good but the technical stuff is complex. Next step is a KTEO (MOT), plates issued and fixed, job done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nothing like seeing 2 native Greek speakers going at it full belt, lol
Always sounds like a huge argument
Even their 'yes' sounds like 'no'

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Nothing like seeing 2 native Greek speakers going at it full belt, lol
Always sounds like a huge argument
Even their 'yes' sounds like 'no'

Thankfully i am blessed with Greek friends who speak very good English, though i can still teach them odd idiosyncrasies of my language. I also have expat friends who have lived here for many years and are basically locals now. Embarrassingly i still struggle to get past the basics, but i can order a cold beer 😉

The car is being imported by a Greek business but the owners wife is English, so best of both.

Theres some confusion, to me, about the red digit plates. I've read previously these are temporary but i'm told by the importers these will be permanent. I am aware of several vehicles circulating Zakynthos with EEI codes and indeed MOO codes. Ultimately it doesnt matter to me as long as the car is legal here for when i am here.

Red digits denotes imported as i knew of course. It also means the car can't be sold in Greece within five years, OR there are penalties of retrospective importation tax, starting at 100%, decreasing 20% yearly. Thats fine as i imported to to use and enjoy it here, not for resale ☺

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
Have you SORNed it back in the UK in case it comes home?

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Have you SORNed it back in the UK in case it comes home?
No. The authorities here notify the DVLA directly of the cars import/export. Regardless, when it finally has its Greek registration i will notify the DVLA that it has been exported. At this moment its in a sort of limbo status, and why i can't use it here currently.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can you reclaim some of the VAT paid on the car in the UK? Now that it has been exported permanently???

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Can you reclaim some of the VAT paid on the car in the UK? Now that it has been exported permanently???

As i didnt buy it from new i doubt it, no way to calculate a figure i'd have thought 🤔

·
Registered
112 Posts
As i didnt buy it from new i doubt it, no way to calculate a figure i'd have thought 🤔
Am not sure of the English system :unsure::unsure:

But the Irish system is VRT or Vehicle Registration Tax, which loads a new and newly imported vehicle with tax based on emissions, specification and condition and charged at a percentage of the on the road price of the vehicle.

It works both ways, ie if you import a vehicle you pay it to receive a vehicle registration certificate and if you export a vehicle you can claim a rebate of taxes paid, based on the same criteria (y)

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Am not sure of the English system :unsure::unsure:

But the Irish system is VRT or Vehicle Registration Tax, which loads a new and newly imported vehicle with tax based on emissions, specification and condition and charged at a percentage of the on the road price of the vehicle.

It works both ways, ie if you import a vehicle you pay it to receive a vehicle registration certificate and if you export a vehicle you can claim a rebate of taxes paid, based on the same criteria (y)

I'll have to look into that once importation is completed.

Greece doesn't like this car. Its a luxury vehicle and emissions are not great, consequently "circulation tax" is 850€ pa. There's no sorn option and if payment is late of 31/12 the penalty is double the charge. 🤤

21 - 31 of 31 Posts