Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We set off on Thursday via Euro-Tunnel, it was deserted, the terminal was virtually void of all life, just one man at Starbucks making coffees

Onwards into France for a night in Woippy, nothing to report here. McDonalds t/a for dinner as nothing else was on offer. Hotel bar and restaurant were both closed. A lacklustre experience.

Day 2, we set off this morning for what turned into a non stop seven hours drive via the Gotthard Tunnel to our next stop, Ibis Hotel Milano Fiera. Several hundred rooms with just twenty five rooms occupied tonight. The restaurant is closed, food is going to be a microwaved dinner to be eaten in the room.

But at least the car is open.

Onwards to Venice port in the morning.....

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
You are making good progress!

The Woippy MaccyD gets dreadful reviews!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Happy travels ????

Interesting that most of Europe is still very limited opening

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
I enjoy watching videos of Greek car ferries trying to dock in bad weather!

How's the trip going?

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Finally back on dry land with wi-fi.

Venice port, Italians and Greeks working together is 'interesting'. Plenty of safety checks as you would imagine and as Greeks seem to have an affinity with papers and beaurocracy, adding Covid requirements means extensive delays. Not really an issue as the ferry was two hours late arriving anyway. Eventually all checked and sorted to join the boarding queue.

It wasn't hot but no facilities of any kind and swamped by HGV stuff, four rows compared to one. Finally boarded and departed nearly five hours late. Settled down for the next twenty seven hours in our deluxe cabin. Anek Lines acquired Asterion II pre-owned, the state of the art cabin control panel was amusing.

Real attention to detail too!

Sunday breakfast was a lonely experience first thing.

Finally berthed in Igoumenitsa at 9pm Sunday for more Covid checks. I couldn't get pictures but vehicles were a maximum of 15 cm apart, a RHD car causes all sorts of stacking problems to the crew as it doesn't conform. Chaotic getting off, but done and an hour's drive to our stop over in Parga for a few days. Next step will be a four hour drive to catch another ferry to our Zakynthos home. Residents permits to finalise and a car to import, more paperwork, lots more in fact.

Car parked up in Parga for now, we're here on sort of a romantic break, Parga was our first holiday together. I'm quite pleased with the MPG, given the weight, roof box and age. TBF mainly motorway driving of course.

There was an Italian registered V10 we parked next to last night, it was gone this morning.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Hope you can enjoy the stopover together.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's all educational ????

You now know that there is no such thing as a spirit level in a shipyard ????

Japanese or not . . Can you imagine the confusion in the bridge ????

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's all educational í ½í¸

You now know that there is no such thing as a spirit level in a shipyard í ½í±

Japanese or not . . Can you imagine the confusion in the bridge í ¾í´£
Confusion on the bridge? There was original signage dotted all around the ship, makes you wonder why it was never changed to Greek or better, universal English. As to spirit levels there aren't enough to rectify the crookedness on board this ship. I've been on a fair number of Anek vessels now, though never from Venice before. Asterion II was by far the worst to date. Curious side loading ramps at the bow and the stern, presumably to suit its original purpose.

Regarding Covid, the ship had mainly German/Austrian passengers who all wore masks as required on board. The non conformists were Greek, including some of the crew!

Still, I've spent a pleasant afternoon on Parga's quayside. Sadly very very few tourists for the local businesses so far. Many hotels aren't going to open for the second year

·
Registered
247 Posts
We really liked Zakynthos when we visited many years ago.
Took a drive through Laganas one day and rapidly left. My idea of Brit tourist hell..

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We really liked Zakynthos when we visited many years ago.
Took a drive through Laganas one day and rapidly left. My idea of Brit tourist hell..
Absolutely. If you're 18-30 yoa, Laganas is paradise. For the more mature, we drive around or occasionally through for amusement.

The rest of the island is better balanced, Zante town is nice, Bochali for the harbour views at night is spectacular, though the bars there hurt the wallet. The visiting boats draw interest, last year Alec Baldwin dropped in for a few nights/days and caused quite a stir. Boats with helicopters atop tend to impress many locals

·
Registered
247 Posts
Boats with helicopters atop tend to impress most people

Was about 11am when we drove through Laganas. The music was blasting out of most bars and some dude was laying in a pool of his own (I assume) vomit in the gutter of the main street.
I tell a lie we did stop for one beer on the beach which was full of drunk yutes with 3rd degree burns to most of their bodies..

(Thank god you didn't say you lived in Laganas, that would have been embarrassing
)

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
There are attempts being made to rid the island of Laganas in its present form, big business there though so may be a struggle.

Our home is set amongst its own olive grove on an unmade track, hence importing the Touareg to replace a Subaru. It's a modest single story building but it's home. Here's a recent Google Earth image. (After a recent full refurbishment, literally at one point just four walls standing)

Sadly I will probably have to scrap the Subaru. Brexit changed many things, it's not viable to drive it back, 190k on it now and still pulls like a proverbial train.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
Shame as it looks quite tidy.

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Its decent though carrying a number of corner scrapes from poor parallel parkers. The Touareg has some corner protection, of sorts, that i've added. Hopefully they will take the more gentle knocks.

·
Chairman
19,922 Posts
The front wings are plastic (in strong sunlight you can see through them from inside the wheel arch when the liner is out) and can take quite a thump.

Leave the offended wing parked in full sun (you have a bit of that I think!) and - with a bit of luck - it will gradually reform to its original shape.

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's a handy tip, thanks.

The Touareg is very tidy for its age, though neither of the bumpers are original paint. Cars like this are rare on the Island, I've only seen one other Touareg in Zante town owned by a businessman, it's always parked outside his shop. I hope it serves me until I no longer drive or one of us gives up the ghost. Car or me, who knows?

On the subject of cars, lots of Alfa Stelvio's in Italy and a fair number of BMWs X7 on our drive through Switzerland and Italy. A handful of Ferrari, Lamborghini and AMG Mercs too. I hadnt appreciated Swiss drivers are as suicidal as Italians. Tailgating at circa 120kph and getting excited if you don't move out of their way quickly.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your gaff looks idyllic!
Good luck with the taming of Laganas. Death to Cocktails and Dreams!

·
Registered
T1 2.5 SE, Sport
417 Posts
We like it though 'living in a field' has some interesting moments.

Yesterday morning, the final leg of our trip from Parga via very empty motorways, over the fantastic Rio bridge to the port of Kilini for the ferry to Zakynthos.

A final morning coffee on the mainland before the last ferry trip

Two hours in front of the UK here, so time for breakfast, proper Greek yogurt, sliced banana and honey

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kalimera ????

Amazing how your diet and lifestyle changes when you get local ????

Enjoy your warm days and olive farming

1 - 20 of 31 Posts