Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested if anyone here has had a similar problem. I have a 2020 Touareg Rline tech, I bought new in March and it came fitted with VW tow bar etc. I bought it for towing my Caravan that weighs in at 1630kg. I am very pleased with the car, it does everything I hoped it would do HOWEVER, when towing, after 1 - 1.5 hours the ACC throws up a fault and stops the safety elements like lane assist and front assist etc out. This is due it seems to the sensor for the ACC realising that it is pointing skywards and unable to function properly so as a fail safe it shuts down. Once you stop towing after circa 30-60 miles the system resets and works fine until the next tow when the same happens. This fault occurs regardless of whether you use the ACC or not. Clearly the local dealer is aware of the problem but is at a loss as to what to do. I am currently working through the problem with the dealer to try and resolve this issue, I have read elsewhere that an individual took his treg to the dealer who firmed up the rear suspension and reduced the sensor sensitivity!!!! Thats a cover up and not a cure. I can see this problem rumbling on for ages or until VW get a software fix but I am curious if anyone here has or is encountering a similar problem. The dealer is aware of the problem. I guess if the dealer cant sort it then VOSA and Trading standards are the next stops. I didnt really spend a lot of money on a car that boasts being able to tow a 3.5 ton trailer when it cant tow very much without losing it main safety feature?

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,927 Posts
Why is the ACC sensor "pointing skywards"? Have you checked the noseweight of your caravan, most are limited to 100 kg which is well within the Touareg's capability.

Some of the Touareg's systems are automatically disabled when towing - details should be in the manual.

·
Chairman
20,095 Posts
If your ACC thingummy is pointing in the air, what are the headlights doing?

And if the answer to that is that they are self-levelling then we know how VW should be fixing the ACC oojimaflip!

·
Mechanical Guru
2,891 Posts
+1 on checking/adjusting noseweight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, the nose weight is fine and below the cars limit of 140KG on the hitch. I have read elsewhere of people having the same issue, one chap found his nose weight to be over so adjusted things , this didnt make a difference. Its booked in for some diagnostics in a weeks time so I hope to test it after that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had exactly the same issue as you have described back in September. We were away for 10 days and moved twice with the caravan when it threw up the messages. The caravan is 2000k and my nose weight is always checked and was at 120kg. The most frustrating thing was that I had to start actually driving the car again and we were going a couple of hundred miles. I took it into VW in Norwich when I came home and they informed me that the car hadn't been coded correctly when built and hadn't been set up as having the tow bar fitted. They did the upgrade that day. I am not sure if this has worked or not as I haven't towed since!

I have owned the car a year and I also learned that I have adaptive cruise control that adjusts your speed according to the speed limit signs. I must have activated it by accident while trying to fix the other fault! That is quite exciting when you leave a 30 into a 60 and haven't noticed the sign!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly the same happened to me with my T5 and 1800kg caravan with 105 noseweight
Didn't happen the next 310 miles journey though

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am interested if anyone here has had a similar problem. I have a 2020 Touareg Rline tech, I bought new in March and it came fitted with VW tow bar etc. I bought it for towing my Caravan that weighs in at 1630kg. I am very pleased with the car, it does everything I hoped it would do HOWEVER, when towing, after 1 - 1.5 hours the ACC throws up a fault and stops the safety elements like lane assist and front assist etc out. This is due it seems to the sensor for the ACC realising that it is pointing skywards and unable to function properly so as a fail safe it shuts down. Once you stop towing after circa 30-60 miles the system resets and works fine until the next tow when the same happens. This fault occurs regardless of whether you use the ACC or not. Clearly the local dealer is aware of the problem but is at a loss as to what to do. I am currently working through the problem with the dealer to try and resolve this issue, I have read elsewhere that an individual took his treg to the dealer who firmed up the rear suspension and reduced the sensor sensitivity!!!! Thats a cover up and not a cure. I can see this problem rumbling on for ages or until VW get a software fix but I am curious if anyone here has or is encountering a similar problem. The dealer is aware of the problem. I guess if the dealer cant sort it then VOSA and Trading standards are the next stops. I didnt really spend a lot of money on a car that boasts being able to tow a 3.5 ton trailer when it cant tow very much without losing it main safety feature?
Was this ever resolved, we are experiencing the same problem?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Would be interesting to know if the lack of correct coding for towing was the fix as a lot of people with steel coil springs on the T5 have complained about this. Although I've also seen some reports of serious rear end sag when towing despite the hitch weight being within limits (allegedly).

I've air suspension on my T5 and have towed several thousand miles so far with no incidents of ACC failing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts