Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for advice if I may.
Am in the market for a Touareg 2nd gen mid year range.
As daughter will use as much as I she's asked for air suspension.
Which specific model should I look for..or is it an option thru the ranges ?
Have looked thru 100's of ad's, as yet haven't seen one with air.
Any pointers greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
K

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
Do take the time to read this thread carefully if you haven't done so:

· Registered
482 Posts
@NoobyT has given you a link to a huge amount of info, absorb, or don't - at your peril!

I guess you will be looking at the V6 diesel. There may be one or two different versions of the same engine, I think the only difference is the HP...

The big visual indicator that the vehicle has air sus. is that there will be two rotary knobs in the center section - You might find that some vendors don't actually know what they are selling! LOL!

If I were buying another Treg I would deffo go for air sus (accepting that it is likely to fail at some point!) and elec mem. seats as I get sick of trying to return the seat to my fav position after its been in the garage.

And find a decent VW indie near you. Trust me - you don't wanna go near a VW dealer unless you really, really have to!

You can read about the various revisions here -

and here -

and if you want a laugh, watch these -

Good luck with your acquisition!!

:)

· Lifelong Motorhead
2,865 Posts
Air suspension was just an option - something like 90% of used models of that era will be R-Line (sunroof, lowered sport suspension, 20" wheels) with about 5% SE (no sunroof, non-sport suspension, 19" wheels) and 5% Escape (no sunroof, raised off-road suspension, 4XMotion transmission with low ratio, 18" wheels) - of course any of these may have extra options.

The R-Line Plus was sold for the last year or so of the generation 2 Touareg

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reference NoobYT ''You might find that some vendors don't actually know what they are selling! LOL! '' ...Was amazed at how many replies contained 'No idea mate''...which tells me its not their car and/or something a little fishy..especially when stating owned for 6 yrs etc. Fortunately these days you can run the reg, maybe 20% don't exist
I thank all those that replied, very helpful pointers

· Registered
4 Posts
Search for cars with towbars. A lot of Touaregs come with no extras, but some are fully loaded. Until you really start looking you don't realise how many extras were available on the 2010 to 2017 Touareg. What I've found is if it has some extras you've more chance that it'll have air suspension. Good luck and keep looking. Make sure you do your research before you buy.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Comment to last poster.
Spent Sunday searching. Only found series 1 V10's plus post 2014 a couple.
Took a tip from an earlier post and literally looked at every vehicle for the dual control on centre console
I received some aversion therapy, watched vids of simple work on V10 having the whole drive-train dropped [or being correct, shell lifted] Im a bit of a driveway mech but that afeared me have to say.

· Registered
17 Posts
Comment to last poster.
Spent Sunday searching. Only found series 1 V10's plus post 2014 a couple.
Took a tip from an earlier post and literally looked at every vehicle for the dual control on centre console
I received some aversion therapy, watched vids of simple work on V10 having the whole drive-train dropped [or being correct, shell lifted] Im a bit of a driveway mech but that afeared me have to say.
I'm new around here too but if I can throw my 2 cents in I would NOT recommend a V10. I jumped in head first and drove it for 2 weeks or so in September and it has been an electrical nightmare and not moved since October 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.

On the other hand, they were a fantastic 2 weeks.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
V10. Pretty much see why IN relative terms they're cheap.
A v10 if it were 30 yrs ago would be different story. [had a 454cu yrs ago, you could literally sit in the engine bay and still see the ground] So much going on these days with electrics, some quite silly. I have a Grand Voyager, change the wheel, if you turn it while of the ground abs disables, then you have to have the dealer delete code as only they have the software on diagnostics. Also happens if tyre pressures are different, then you disconnect battery for 30 mins and keep foot on brake to drain comp...Damn stupid.
Tks for the heads up [last post] Had watched a few more 'repair' jobs on v10, definitely off putting.

· Registered
482 Posts
Personally I cant understand why the V10 is attractive. BIG costs on repairs and fuel, with unimpressive increases in - HP is only 40 more that the V6, and 170 NM more than the V6, so not that great IMHO.

Perhaps it's the sound? Or just knowing there is a V10 under the bonnet?

I'd rather a cheaper V6 and some mods. I think Darkside can push the V6 to over 300 HP and I'm sure changing the exhaust would improve the sounds too... Coupled with lower running costs and less reason for engine to come out...

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
The V10 is a supercar engine with the potential for supercar bills.

The rest of the car just another Touareg.

The youngest V10 is now at least 12 years old.

The cost of repairs doesn't decrease with age and the likelihood of repairs increases.

You need to be brave and have deep pockets to take on an elderly V10!

· Registered
17 Posts
Personally I cant understand why the V10 is attractive. BIG costs on repairs and fuel, with unimpressive increases in - HP is only 40 more that the V6, and 170 NM more than the V6, so not that great IMHO.

Perhaps it's the sound? Or just knowing there is a V10 under the bonnet?

I'd rather a cheaper V6 and some mods. I think Darkside can push the V6 to over 300 HP and I'm sure changing the exhaust would improve the sounds too... Coupled with lower running costs and less reason for engine to come out...

Because V10...

· Registered
482 Posts
I thought this way when I bought an M3 a few years back. I rather naively thought - well I can afford the car, just how bad can the repairs be?! Well £12k in a year just on repairs saw me fall right out of love with the thing!!!

IMHO the V10 just ain't special enough to justify the running costs! You can get more from a tuned V6.

· Chairman
13,572 Posts
The V8 Tdi is now the Touareg to own if you want big grunt!

Reactions: Davey2021
1 - 18 of 18 Posts