Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
318 Posts
Guys,

I believe some of you have been bought and have already driven the new one.

My biggest gripe on the old girl is the current ponderous 6 speed box. Pick up in first, especially when rolling up to a roundabout is painfully slow, followed by a cresendo of revs as the box finally catches up with your now firmly planted right foot. I actually drive in manual through a couple of the roundabouts on my way home now.

i) Does anybody share my critique?
ii) To those in the know, is the 8 speed any better?

PS. Does the 8 speed ruin the long 3rd gear which is a plus point on the old model.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The only problem I have with the VW box (and it may be more down to throttle response) is that quite often the car "bogs down". What I mean by this is that, particularly approaching a roundabout, the revs will drop to sub 1,500rpm you see a gap in the traffic (still moving in say 3rd) put your foot down but not too hard to just increase speed gradually and.... nothing. No speed increase, no rise in revs and no down change. You then have 2 choices - 1) wait until the revs get above 1,500 and the turbo kicks in and away you go as you wanted to or 2) give the throttle a jab to force it into a down change. Number 1 is fine if not in a hurry and not much traffic around but painfully slow. Number 2 fine apart from the fact it then drops down a gear and the turbo is on full song all of a sudden and off you shoot. Fine if you're in a hurry but a bit silly if you want to be a bit more sedate.

Is this the problem you mean? Didn't know if it was normal or just my car. Wondering if a remap will cure it as the improved throttle response may get it to change down easier.

I used to have a 5 Series BMW and the autobox on that was quite frankly dangerous at times. It just would not go from a standstill if you wanted to get away quick. Many's the time when you'd see a gap at a roundabout or T junction, floor it only for the car to move forward slowly into the path of the fast approaching lorry! Finally, after what seemed like ages but probably only a split second, you'd be off with the traction control light flashing away. Particularly bad when the gearbox was cold. A known "fault" (BMW say it's normal) mainly due I think to the ECU trying to protect the gearbox from huge amounts of torque until it thinks it safe.
Other than that it was fine and in the scenario given for the VW above, the BMW box would either change down straight away or it would effectively "slip the clutch" briefly to get the revs up enough to not need a down change but still make good progress. The VW box hardly ever seems to want to "slip" - it either stays in gear at same revs or changes gear.

·
1,307 Posts
guys you both must be driving different cars to me!! even before i had the Treg tweaked, i would never call it slow in any gear for a 2.5 ton truck!!

in my opinion all the 8 speed box is for is better MPG and emmissions due to longer ratios

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stu,

She's not slow. That's not what I meant old boy.

Smarty,

That is what I mean. It bogs down. It's the pick up from off throttle. Coasting into a roundabout she shunts up the box than seems to take an age to go and get a lower ratio when you want it. It's common to all tregs i've driven and to some extent a foible of traditional auto boxes, just seems to be more "inflexible" in the Treg.

Would hope the 8 speed, whilst obviously having different and higher top ratios, would also pick up better.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Glad it's not just me then.
I find it's fine in Sport mode or I actually get round it fairly quickly now by giving the throttle a quick prod but then immediately come slightly off. Makes the box change down but then doesn't go shooting off down the road. Just had to adapt to it.

Stu - as socks says, it's not slow (although slightly slower than the BM) but when slowing down the box holds onto the higher gears and then bogs down because it's in too high a gear. I'll be getting it remapped soon so I'll see if that makes a difference.
I've done the gearbox reset and that didn't help.

·
1,307 Posts
i can honestly say that i have never noticed any of the symptoms you both describe and always found it fine. i have driven lots of autos over the years in cars with engines big and small and find this to be one of the best.

i am going to take note of things now and see what i find.

·
Elite Deserter
2,182 Posts
I paid real close attention to my gear changes last night and I think I experienced what you guys are talking about. It didn't seem that apparent to be honest and I'd not have noticed unless I was looking for it specifically.

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
Socks... Have you tried doing a throttle body reset...?

switch on electriics, but don't start the engine (from cold)
plant foot hard down for 30ish + seconds
switch off then try starting and driving

I've noticed a dramatic difference doing this occasionally when the gearbox is feeling boggy, and as nice as the tiptronic is, it can really screw up the 'fuzzy logic' software that 'learns' how you drive. Id definitely give the above a go.

Only other thing is maybe you need a software upgrade on the auto box, had one done when the transfer box was replaced 3.5 ish years ago and noticed a difference then too, but ours is a vintage Treg, if you're post 2005 you should be up to date already.

Personally think 1st should be removed and a 7th gear added, cos 1st is just never used on ours ,but then I've not got a yukky diesel.

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HFG,

Have done the reset. Do it regularly as the present Mrs Socks driving style is different to mine and I find the old girl needs a clear out now and again (and the auto box!)

There's no fixes, as I said, i've driven at least half a dozen touaregs and they are all the same. I'm not loosing any sleep over it, it was just that I was hoping for someone to come on and say they have driven the new one and the new 8 autobox is a great improvement.

Smarty,

Something I found for a sharper get away from stationary is stick it in manual and she will launch in 2nd. Avoids the 'all noise and no action' in 1st. Whether it is actually any quicker I don't know? just feels quicker.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Smarty,

Something I found for a sharper get away from stationary is stick it in manual and she will launch in 2nd. Avoids the 'all noise and no action' in 1st. Whether it is actually any quicker I don't know? just feels quicker.
I don't have any problem getting away from stationary. It goes fine, especially compared to the BM! It's while still rolling, while braking and then trying to pull away again that is the issue. Doesn't happen all the time - guess it depends on a lot of variables coming together at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Never had a problem with mine so far

Mods, can we move this thread to the Boy Racer category

Cass

·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never had a problem with mine so far

Mods, can we move this thread to the Boy Racer category

Cass
Cass,

Looking at your previous you would seem to display some 'form' in that department. Surely you have the desire to unleash your 240 horses now and again?

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
The BMW problem is because it will be in second gear when it pulls to a stop unless you have it in sports mode where it selects first.

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Cass,

Looking at your previous you would seem to display some 'form' in that department. Surely you have the desire to unleash your 240 horses now and again?
I've grown up now and I just like to waft about in my Treg

Seriously, I've always been sympathetic with my cars and only heavy with my right foot after the 'slow in, easy out corners' or clear, long straight bits. The Treg running costs are big enough without caning my tyres and brakes and too many speed cameras about these days

Someone else's car, that's a different matter.

Cass

1 - 14 of 14 Posts