Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We've bought a 56 plate V6TDI Touareg. Its done about 19,000 miles, it had 15000 on it when we bought it and we have added 4000 since late March.

I've got a few questions hopefully someone can help me with

VW sent us a postcard advising us that it needs the 4motion transmission oil changing and we have been quoted ?195 from our local VW dealer.

Should it need changing after so few miles ? Also whats this for ?

The brake warning light has come on and we've been quoted nearly ?500 for new pads front and rear. How quickly do the pads wear ? The Touareg is driven by my other half so is mainly used for school runs and commuting. I guess the thing that bugs me with this is that VW made no mention that the pads would need replacing so quickly after the car was bought. We've complained to the dealership, about not being made aware of this but as is our previous experiences with them its like talking to a brick wall....

Apologies if the questions seems a bit dumb, but i really don't know one end of a car from the other

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts
The good thing is the discs don't need changing! At a VW dealer this and the pads together can work out around the ?900-?1000 mark!!

If your car is out of VW warranty, I'd use an independent to change the disc pads - their labour rate is much cheaper and pads will be too, and I'd have thought this should come out at around ?300 or so.

As you say you know nothing about cars, a DIY job is definitely not on the cards, especially as brakes are safety critical items!

I've not heard of the 4 motion oil change though so hope someone else might pick this up.

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I recieved a similar Oil-Change card from my dealer last year. It was a campaign to drum up dusiness aimed at the Golfs etc- I cheched with VW Lux Care and they confirmed that the Touareg gearbox/4x4 system is sealed for life so does not need this oil change.

Re the brakes are you sure both Front and Back need changing- my last 3.0Tdi needed new front pads at 25,000 miles but the original rear pads were fine at 44,000 miles when I Part Exchanged it for a nrew one.

The pads have a sensor in them- so if this has not gone off on the rear ones I would just change the fronts and do the rears when they really need doing. The dealer may be suggesting you change both to "save you time" coming back- but the rears may last years.

Cas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts