Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking over the tyres it seems an alignment check is needed, bugger. Uneven wear seems to have come from nowhere on the inside of the fronts & the outside of the backs are wearing a little more than the insides.
Drivers side is nearly bald on the inside but 3-4mm on the outside, arse.

Tyres only a couple of months off changing so was thinking about bringing this forward & fitting the famous grabbers.

Question is other than the stealers, any recomendations for alignment check in Worcester / Redditch area ?

Cheers folks

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a thought, as I am going to replace all of the tyres for Grabbers, I might keep 2 or 3 of them (one is fubar).

Depending on their condition, as long as they have 4mm on them they could come in handy as a temporary spare for folk in the dodgy position of having tyres too good to change but for the sake of a puncture to one tyre.

Would have thought I will have at least one available for a club member.

I'll post up if anything is available when I get some new ones.

BTW they are Continental UHP 255 x 55 x 18

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I had the 4-wheel alignment done by my local dealer on my last Treg for ?79- a bargin I thought. When I enquired about getting it done the delaer recommended waiting until I changed the tyres as it is best done with square/new tyres.

Cas

·
749 Posts
I had mine done when i had new tyres put on, the alignment was done at Elite who have a basic charge and then an additional charge for each corner if adjustment is required, you can be looking at anything between ?55 to ?120. If you do decide to have the work done with the current boots don't forget to take it easy while the tread pattern beds in again to the full available surface of the tyre.

If you are going change the tyres i would advise having the work done with the new tyres on.

There is a thread on four wheel alignment and one of the posts has an example of the printout attached, i believe it was from chemix who are reported to be quite professional

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers folks, was planning to have it done with new tyres on for exactly the reasons you have suggested.

Will get hold of Chemix & stealers tomorrow then a call to Event seems to be the plan

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Been quoted ?130 all in for alignment check at Worcester VW, seem about right ?

Update, check at Chemix is ?15.
?15 off if toe adjustment needed ?32.32 inc
worst case scenario with toe & camber is ?70

Only the front wheels are adjustable apparently & they say it makes no difference if you have new tyres or not.

Booked in for Saturday morning

Thanks again Shytot

·
Chairman
19,971 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scanned the alignment resuts to post up but the file size is over a meg.

Is there an e-mail I can send to & a mod can decide if its worth posting up ?

Thought it might be useful because it shows the tolerances that things are supposed to be set between

Cheers

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
It would certainly be good to know the recommended settings. I often wonder if half the people that do this job have up to date manufacturer recommended settings or just use some old data they may have had for years from who knows where.

Can the scanned image be compressed before posting?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortuneatley I scanned it in pdf in colour so the file size is 1.4 mb.

If some clever tech can reduce it, will gladly e-mail it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts