Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just going through a painful process right now and thought I'd share it with you all to see if there is a way for me to get a result.

Background
I have a 04 2.5TDi which had it's last VW full service in early Feb. Low coolant was detected and "possible" leak on coolant pump was diagnosed - although I experienced no leaks or loss in coolant prior to or after the service. I wrote a letter to the stealer and later Luxury Car Services asking why the 90D7 fix could not be implemented - I was told that it expired Dec 08 (5 weeks prior) and due to the age of the vehicle there was no chance for a FOC fix.

Around this time I had already had quotes for 3rd party warranty, however, I only took one out in mid April when I received a call form Warranty Direct and they offered me a good deal.

11 days ago ...
Driving up the M40, my oil light came on, then around 50 miles later M5 the coolant light came on. no crunching noises so I drove the remaining 60 miles home. Upon looking in the coolant expansion chamber I found a claggy mix of Oil and Water.
I rang WD and they said take it to a garage - if it is wear and tear then it's not covered (first 90 days) if it is mechanical failure, you're covered.
The VW garage (after quoting ?60 inspection fee) identified the issue as the Oil Cooler and confirmed that it was a mechanical failure. they advised WD who then wanted to send out an engineer. I needed to give my permission + ?250 for the "work" to be done in removing the faulty item for inspection. It transpired at this time that the recommendation from VW was to replace the cooler, the water pump, sensors and seals due to the damage caused by Oil in the system.

The engineer went along last Thursday and on Friday reported that the oil cooler had no corrosion or signs of aging, however, since the service history shows that there were problems with the cooling system and I had written letters of complaint about it, this fault is considered to be one that was already present when the warranty was taken out.

I have gone ahead with the repair - I cannot afford to have the car of the road for weeks. I have also asked for a copy of the engineer's report. I also plan to register a complaint to WD and seek some compensation for a faulty component.
I also suspect that if I had had the policy for more than 6 weeks, then they would have looked more favourably on a claim.
My concern is that the stealer has not helped by claiming for the full set of replacements, although theoretically the failure may have damaged them. I am in a position where I really only want compensation for the oil cooler, damaged seals and the flushing of the system.

Questions
1. Although the pump and the cooler are part of the same system, I think it is fair to say that an ingress of oil from the cooler cannot be attributed to a water pump which appears to be functioning properly?

2. Has anyone experienced a similar failure? If so how was it handled and what was replaced?

3. Any suggestions on how best to proceed?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
My first Treg was a used 2004 2.5TDi that I bought from Danes Chester.
After 4 days of ownership the ?Low Coolant? light came on- this worried me as it was supposed to have been serviced before I collected it. I checked the level and needed to add about 3 litres to top it up. I then drove to Heathrow for a weeks holiday. Upon return the ?Low Coolant? light came on as I started it up in the car park- I checked the coolant level and it was full but there was now oil in the water which had contaminated the switch within the header tank.
I drove the car home and then called Danes and told them they were getting the car back as it was not of ?reasonable quality?.

Danes tried to re-assure me by saying that a new header tank would cure the problem- I disagreed and got a full refund. They never told me the cause of the problem but my guess is that the oil cooler failed as this is a well documented problem that VW are aware of and later I believe the 90D7 recall fixed.

Sounds similar to your problem- I hope you can pressure VW to come to their senses and put this right.

Cas

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Shytot said:
..... the service history shows that there were problems with the cooling system and I had written letters of complaint about it, this fault is considered to be one that was already present when the warranty was taken out.
How did WD find out about the service history and your letters? If the dealer told them, were they authorised to? Surely this is private information between you and VW. It may be worth challenging the dealer for discussing your case with the third party.

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts
geraout said:
Shytot said:
..... the service history shows that there were problems with the cooling system and I had written letters of complaint about it, this fault is considered to be one that was already present when the warranty was taken out.
How did WD find out about the service history and your letters? If the dealer told them, were they authorised to? Surely this is private information between you and VW. It may be worth challenging the dealer for discussing your case with the third party.
To my mind, there is no question that the information would have been stored on the dealer's computer therefore this appears to be is a prima facie case of the dealer's staff breaking the 1998 data protection Act.

Visit:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporat ... on_act.htm

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs.

@ Cas - funnily enough my treg started out life @ Danes, maybe they got a bad batch.

Thanks for the tip on private correspondence, I guess the letters were in the service paperwork. I'm not sure exactly on the legal standpoint but it is worth considering.

Right now, I have accepted that I have to take some pain up front - I need the treg back. I am awaiting the copy of the engineer's report for reference and when I pick up the treg.

Upon payment, I will provide a qualifying letter outlining my concerns about the disclosure of my letters and the known issues with the water pump (and possibly the whole cooling system). So I will accept the vehicle but do not accept that all of the costs should be my responsibility. I will then follow it up with all of the parties involved and maybe seek legal advise.

TBH - I don't hold out much hope of letters having an effect, I believe that legal action is the only serious option.

·
Elite Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after a letter of complaint and a few discussions, it looks like I will get payment for the failing oil cooler and a few days' hire car charges.

It probably covers ~35% of my costs, which also included water pump replacement, coolant reservoir and various other bits that needed doing but were pre-existing.

It appears that if the VW stealer had just reported the real failing items then maybe the investigating engineer would have approved the work anyway.

Regarding the private letter / information, the water pump was highlighted in the service documentation so would still have been highlighted.

Although I'm out of pocket, at least WD made an effort and were pretty fair and within the letter of the contract, considering the circumstances. I wish I could find something positive to say for VW but as with so many other people on here, it seems that the VW stealers in most cases are not really interested in a good deal for their customers.

Based on this experience, I will keep up the payments with WD at the present rate and when the Treg gets to 80K miles (limit for the current rate) I will have to look at the options and consider whether it is the best option to go with stealer rates.

Thanks for your suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts