Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoying the Treg and the wife loves it which is a big plus point
but a question for the more knowledgeable on here about the gearbox.

I've noticed that 3rd gear is a bit weird at times, if i put the boot down then the gearbox works through the gears fine but if i pull away normally/gently the it'll go 1st and 2nd no problem but then pretty much miss out 3rd and goto 4th. It does go through 3rd but its very briefly. is this just the way it works or is it dodgy?

Cheers

Davie

·
Mechanical Guru
2,874 Posts
Enjoying the Treg and the wife loves it which is a big plus point
but a question for the more knowledgeable on here about the gearbox.

I've noticed that 3rd gear is a bit weird at times, if i put the boot down then the gearbox works through the gears fine but if i pull away normally/gently the it'll go 1st and 2nd no problem but then pretty much miss out 3rd and goto 4th. It does go through 3rd but its very briefly. is this just the way it works or is it dodgy?

Cheers

Davie
What you might be feeling here is the torque converter locking up (stop slipping). It locks quicker under greater load and so is barely noticeable, but when accelerating gently it happens much more gradually. Next time your in the car watch the display when driving gently and you may find that when the box has just changed up into third you soon see engine rpm slow but the gear selected doesn't change at that time. If that's what's happening it's perfectly normal.
You will also notice that when the engine is cold the torque converter seems to slip more and lock more gradually.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you might be feeling here is the torque converter locking up (stop slipping). It locks quicker under greater load and so is barely noticeable, but when accelerating gently it happens much more gradually. Next time your in the car watch the display when driving gently and you may find that when the box has just changed up into third you soon see engine rpm slow but the gear selected doesn't change at that time. If that's what's happening it's perfectly normal.
You will also notice that when the engine is cold the torque converter seems to slip more and lock more gradually.
Thanks for the reply

I'll try when i get home next Friday but I think I have watched the gears and I'm pretty sure the display shows it going from 2nd into 3rd and then quite quickly into 4th.

·
mySantaFe
1,056 Posts
You could slip it into sports manual mode and have a listen to the 3rd gear change.

·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right enough Chaser

cheers

Davie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts