Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have a late 2005 Touareg V6 TDI (BKS) with just over 40k on the clock. So far it has been given a full engine service, along with auto trans / axles / transfer box fluids.

I have come from BMWs, so I'm still learning about the VAG stuff. However, on this engine is there anything you would consider doing as preventative maintenance?

E.g. swirl flap blanking, EGR blanking, and somebody mentioned to me about a timing chain tensioner replacement?

It's had new injectors already, so I'm hoping that's one expensive thing out of the way. I'm trying to make it as dependable as possible, and having see a lot of older Touareg's still on the road, I am guessing they are still relied upon!

I have done different searches, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Change the engine oil & filter every 5k miles. (or sooner!!) DIY it doesn't cost much & very easy with an oil extractor pump. Inspect the inlet manifold for a build up of soot & oil. 40k on a 16 year old vehicle may indicate it has done short journeys.

New injectors at 40K? I wouldn't have thought the tensioner would need replacing at 40k.

What maintenance history do you have?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I was intending to do oil and filter every 5-6k. The guy I bought it from said the DPF was blocked when he bought it, as the long term owner (from new) before him was elderly so I'm guessing it stayed relatively local.

Injectors had all failed at idle, no warning lights or rough running, but it produced a smoke screen when warm if left ticking over for a short period of time.

Service history consists of the (gimmick) extended VW service interval stamps, then independents.

·
Registered
270 Posts
DPF isnt the same as the inlet manifold. This thread link below is the slightly later engine but still relevant. The biggest advantage on mine which was pretty restricted at 60k and had been for probably 10k before was once cleaned out was the increased performance & mpg.

If the DPF on yours was blocked from short journeys then likely the inlet will be to. It costs nothing to check. I was shocked when I checked mine but glad I did. You may be to!!

Soot inlet manifold. | Volkswagen Touareg Forum (mytreg.com)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's right, but the short journeys no doubt attributed to the DPF blocking. Thanks for the advice on inlet manifold, your example did look clogged. While I am there I am guessing it will make sense to blank swirl flaps and the EGR valve. I saw Darkside Developments sell kits for both.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's right, but the short journeys no doubt attributed to the DPF blocking. Thanks for the advice on inlet manifold, your example did look clogged. While I am there I am guessing it will make sense to blank swirl flaps and the EGR valve. I saw Darkside Developments sell kits for both.
I wouldn't mess around with blanking off anything but would (& have) fit a catch can. Everything works well and the oil which causes the mess never reaches the inlet.

Wouldn't disabling the EGR fail, the MOT?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts