Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.0 Tdi Touareg, 45000 km, never a problem for 2.5 years since new, didn't start this morning. It wasn't that cold or damp and in the past the car has endured minus 15 for a week and started first time. Electrics seem OK, but after the starter turns for about 3-5 secs (i.e. when it normally fires up) it stops and there is no hint of firing. Last thing I did when last driving was to fill up (yes, I did use diesel!) so wonder whether anyone has had problem when tank is very full after being nearly empty - is an air lock possible?

If anyone has experienced this or has some ideas, would be glad to hear!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hip - given me some ideas to try out. I bought the diesel at a cheap Jet station, so could be poor quality.

Geofizz

·
Superman
2,258 Posts
another possibility..

I had really bad issue with my A4 (1.8t petrol) cuting out and coughing...

Turned out fuel hose had been crushed by a minor excursion I had trying to get thru a police only motorway bridge....
police caught me, and didn't say a word, just sat in their car and chuckled to themselves as I was stuck like a pig in sh1t..... (derogatory term not used towards the fuzz, looking back on it was hilarious and i'd ahve done the same as them) Created no trouble at the time, but soon affected fuel supply...

Have you been off road, or previous owner been throwing the car about, maybe check for any visible signs underneath...?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm wondering if your car might think that your foot is not on the brake pedal, or in 'Park/Neutral' ?? It's just an idea?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No chance of offroad damage, unless someone's sabotaged it, but also no fuel smell or leakage. The idea of electronics malfunction cutting out the starter sounds plausible, as it does seem a little weird for the starter to cut out so quickly - maybe I'll try waggling the brake pedal and gearshift.

geofizz

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Does the deisel have a fuel filter or water entrapment device? and is it easy to get to?
might be worth unscrewing it to check out water deposits.

sounds like a badge batch of fuel or water in the fuel to me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Check the glow-plug light preignition may not connect I sometimes get anything from 5 to 10 seconds delays on start up. make sure you keep you foot on the pedal and just wait. There is no real problem as some times the management system may take a while to adjust. just a thought....

·
Registered
229 Posts
How much fuel was left in it before fill up, if it is a bad batch of fuel, surely the amount of good fuel in the pipes would be enough for you to get off the driveway and down the road!!??

I've had a few bad batch's on petrol cars and always found that i'd got some distance down the road before the coughing started and it has always been mid journey for me and the car would lose power and bumble along @ 20mph for a few minutes and then cough back to life.

Never heard of a bad batch causing a non start

Hope you get it sorted.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Following my problem posted last week, called out RAC who identified it as probably low pressure pump failure. It got towed to the VW dealer where it is still sitting and after 2 days they still haven't been able to diagnose the problem. It looks like both low p and high p fuel pumps are not working which suggests an electronic management system problem. VW say my warranty on the car only lasts 2 years as it was bought in Austria, whereas in UK it would be 3, so I may have a battle with VW on the costs of repair!

If anyone's heard of such a problem before, would be good to know.

Geofizz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, just wanted to close this one out for everyone's benefit. The car was in my local VW dealer for 2 weeks in the end. They pinned the problem down to an electronic system problem quite quickly, but it took a week to figure out it was the ECU - electronic computer unit? So - the computer say No!

It then took another week of communications with Milton Keynes and Germany to establish that they had actually fixed it properly, because apparently the UK and Europe starting process is different. Mine starts only after a delay of c.5 secs after the key is inserted, whereas UK models start straight away.

Unfortunately it's out of the 2-year EU warranty although within the UK 3-years, so there is still some discussion going on about who actually pays.......

Geofizz

·
Registered
74 Posts
You'll be very luckey if the UK warrenty is paying for that. Simple reason is you haven't spend your money in a UK dealer instead you spend it in another country.

And same goes for all dealers , you didnt spend your money in my place, I will help you and take your hard earned, but will not bent over backwards for you.
A very bad attitude I know , but true. :oops:

D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts