Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my tyres are needing changed soon.
I have been offered nearly new Pirelli Verde for a good price. They are 265/50/19. Would these work ok?
I had been looking at 255/55/19 to replace the 275/45/19 but these are decent price and good condition.
Thanks

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
Look your tyres up on:

www.tiresize.com/tire-size-calculator/

265/50/19 looks okay at 29.4 inches OD versus OEM at 29 inches OD.

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
Check there are no puncture repairs.

And tread depth too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
And the age of the tyres, will be stamped on the sidewall, don't worry if it is not there, it's on the other side ????

Age is in the format of week/year
(24/16 = week24/year2016)

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
Good point on age. It's in a square box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point on age. It's in a square box.
They're saying one is 12/15 other 3 are 37/14
They bought as pre-register car with 160 on clock but changed after the summer after lockdown. Only has 6k on car now so don't think they've done many miles. No repairs.
So sounds ok.
Now to see what I can get them for.

·
Chairman
19,925 Posts
6 and 7 years old. Not safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just read this so I'll pull out of deal
Thanks again for the advice

The results of experience of many tyre manufacturing companies including Bridgestone, warrant their tyres for 5 years from date of manufacture. Based on these understandings many vehicle manufacturers are now advising their customers to replace their tyres after 6 years, regardless of tread depth remaining.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It’s a common problem with caravan tyres which hardly ever wear. Industry advice is to change them at 7 years old at the latest, that’s not 7 years after fitting but after manufacture. Most caravan insurers will not cover if tyres are older.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a common problem with caravan tyres which hardly ever wear. Industry advice is to change them at 7 years old at the latest, that's not 7 years after fitting but after manufacture. Most caravan insurers will not cover if tyres are older.
Lady said they were on her Treg when bought nearly new ????????‍♂
But I've pulled out the deal as per advice and what I read myself.
Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lady said they were on her Treg when bought nearly new ????????‍♂
But I've pulled out the deal as per advice and what I read myself.
Thanks
You're better off

Tyre rubber goes off, even when new on the shelf, more so when used through a few cycles of hot and cold

Anything over 5 years is suspect no matter how little use, especially on a 2 and a half ton car

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're better off

Tyre rubber goes off, even when new on the shelf, more so when used through a few cycles of hot and cold

Anything over 5 years is suspect no matter how little use, especially on a 2 and a half ton car
Yes realising this now. Glad I came on and asked the question.

To be fair to the lady she genuinely never knew.
She messaged me back later asking if I'd like them for nothing if I was stuck.
But I can't see any use for them.

·
268 Posts
Makes my Michelin winters with 6mm left with a date of 2010 sound like they are falling apart, but I'm still going to use them as they are still plyable and show no signs of their age.

My risk and they are inspected regularly when on the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts