Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
VW Touareg 3.0L V6 CR7 R-Line
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this is (see picture below). It's in the lights switches cluster to the right of the steering wheel on the RHD car, leftmost in the cluster. Mine had been pushed inside so I had to reset it and I don't know whether it's a sensor of some sort or a toggle button but if it's a toggle button mine is stuck in. I checked on ETKA and the cluster is listed but not the individual component parts.

Auto part Technology Machine Cable Electrical wiring

·
Registered
368 Posts
Does anyone know what this is (see picture below). It's in the lights switches cluster to the right of the steering wheel on the RHD car, leftmost in the cluster. Mine had been pushed inside so I had to reset it and I don't know whether it's a sensor of some sort or a toggle button but if it's a toggle button mine is stuck in. I checked on ETKA and the cluster is listed but not the individual component parts.

View attachment 38015
Find the part number on it and Google it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Find the part number on it and Google it
Tried that and couldn't find anything, however, just tried again and this time I did find that it's a temperature sensor.

Product Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Plant

·
Registered
441 Posts
Funny I was looking for info on that the other day and couldn't find anything. It's not a button, well mine doesn't press in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny I was looking for info on that the other day and couldn't find anything. It's not a button, well mine doesn't press in.
The only sensible Google hit I got was someone in Germany selling a used one for 19 euro.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Interesting it's a temp sensor. There's presumably a corresponding one on the passenger side and two in the rear if you have 4 zone.
I nearly always drive with my window open a crack. The position of that sensor explains why my window being open slightly plays havoc with the heater on my side as it's getting a blast direct from the window..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking it was a button I stupidly tried to carefully prize it out and the end came off. It's a little black cap. There was a tiny square metal, possibly copper, pad underneath so I replaced the cap and reset the sensor into the cluster which I replaced into the dash. It seems to be working okay as the AC is operating to control the internal temperature via dash vent on my side but I'm not entirely sure whether the cap contact with the pad is critical to its proper accuracy and maybe I've compromised the bond.

It seems to me an odd method to locate a sensor, I can't see anything similar on the front passenger side. I can't imagine why VW decided to locate it in a light switch cluster.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It'll have a thermocouple or other type of temp sensor under the cap. I don't think you've broken anything.
Odd because the sensor is usually open to air, having a solid cap seems a bit daft

·
Chairman
20,322 Posts
I nearly always drive with my window open a crack.
Ease up on the baked beans and the vindaloos and then you can close the window and let the HVAC do its job!

• Haha
Reactions: Cass

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nothing to do with my arse gas Nooby!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts