Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,923 Posts
I think if I had a new T5 I'd look to buy that bumper protection film as well.

£50 does seem steep when you are fitting it yourself but it would probably cost more to have it custom cut and fitted at a detailers where they seem to be offering this service for your cars these days

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
£95 fitted !!

Automotive tire Font Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper

Believe me, I looked for an after market part. It's the kind of part I'd happily accept an after market offering. Only options where stick on mock alu strips. Or a decent looking black or grey plastic cover but that was £130.
To be fair to VW, it came with everything you need to fit it but still £50 seems a tad excessive.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Nice job, and needed I think, mine has the odd mark. Being black shows any imperfections. I bought the cargo net when I bought the car, my wife thought I was mad spending on a piece of net, probably one of the best things I bought for it. As you know the boot is so big, difficult to wedge shopping anywhere without it moving, the net stops all that, would highly recommend.
Just saw your speck, that's a rare car, lovely!
I bought the rubber floor mats and boot liner too. With the plastic boot liner, anything in the boot flies around like a rocket. Cargo net sounds like a cracking buy!

Thanks on the spec. I was very lucky. I still check Autotrader regularly and I'm yet to find one with the same spec, yet alone at the price I paid.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah I did to, think they're a must in the winter. I don't know how my wife doesn't, but we go on the same walk, we get in the car and her footwell is so full of mud I could grow spuds!
Just about to put the carpet mats back in I think.
The net from VW was around £56 if my memory serves me well. It's kind of elasticated too, wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've a 5 and 2 year old, my entire car is covered in mud from walks. Soon it will be beaches and sand. I'm keeping my rubber mats in all year

Can you still secure the cargo net with the boot liner in? The liner covers the tether points..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well with children that age I get it. Just seen my 2 yr old granddaughter today for the first time since Xmas, so totally get what you're saying! Although the way I feel she could do what ever she wanted to my car!
I made a slice into my boot liner to allow net to hook on. Probably not 100% waterproof now, but would have to be a serious spillage to cause concern, and still does the job.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have two of those collapsible plastic crates in my boot. So I can put the shopping bags a d trays of plants to keep them in one place. I also have a cargo net too that will restrain awkward shaped objects.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Clocked up a fair few miles this weekend (I've done a mere 5000 miles since I got the car in November 2020).

Within quick succession on the m25 on Sunday I had the emergency braking kick in twice for absolutely no apparent reason.
There was a light drizzle, I mean very light. 4 lane section of the road and I was in lane 2. Car in front was at least 200 meters away and not slowing. I was passing cars in lane 1 and cars in lane 3 were passing me. Didn't seem to correspond to passing vehicles and the road was straight.

Buzzer sounded, brakes were applied and an "SOS - emergency braking has been activated" (or words to that effect) message popped up on the dash and the red warning symbol on the head up display.

No real dramas. I was on the throttle anyway and pressed it a little harder and the emergency braking was overridden.

This is the first time it's happened to me for no reason. Usually I've come too close to a parked car when weaving around them on side roads or the car in front has braked hard and the system has picked up on it a fraction of a second before I have.

Have done another 70 miles today and it's not happened again.
Maybe water beading on the radar sensor or a little dirt? Who knows but slightly disconcerting

·
Chairman
20,201 Posts
Sounds bloody dangerous to me.
Switch it off!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Think I've said this before but those occasions when it reacts faster than I do to a vehicle in front slowing is why I'll be leaving it on.
Wasn't a huge drama when it happened. Felt like a sharp tap of the brakes but my instant reaction to press the accelerator a bit harder cancelled it. Had some A hole been riding my arse however, they would have shat themselves 🤣

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I'm going to contradict myself here.. please standby...
Racked up just over 2.5k this summer, mostly towing.
More things that are annoying me:

ACC picking up the wrong speed limit.
One of two things trigger this. Either I've a route set in the nav, I'm ignoring it, it's trying to take me off a motorway, you pass the exit it's trying to take you off on and the ACC drops to the speed limit of the road the nav wants you to exit onto as you pass the exit.
Or 60mph roadworks. Had this 3 times now on the M4. Either the nav has some historic data that that section of roadworks is 50mph (because it I seem to remember is used to be 50mph earlier in the works). Or the camera is misreading 60 as 50.. not sure which but it's fecking annoying, especially towing. I'm always set at 62 and stick to 62 through the 60mph roadworks sections, which takes me past most cars that usually slow to 60 or just below. Every 10 mins or so ACC changes to 50mph and slams the brakes on, unless I catch it in time but that involves me prodding the accelerator and then having to reset my speed.

Lane Assist - I turn it off by default each time I start the car. Two button pushes on the steering wheel, no big deal. Problem is when I forget and I'm towing. That shit is downright dangerous when you're towing, weaves you all over the road. It should be automatically disabled with a trailer attached.

Matrix LED headlights - In the right situation they are frankly amazing. Country roads or unlit A roads they flood the scene and block any area shining on a leading or oncoming vehicles. Used them a fair bit and not been flashed so I assume they're not pissing other drivers off. Problem is you can't use them on any road with a central barrier as the camera can't detect oncoming vehicles properly and I'd dazzle them. There's a lot of unlit dual carriageway A and M roads out there when they would come in very handy.

Stop/start (the contradiction) - That just needs to go off and stay the fuck off.
I'm down with it when bobbing around town but in nearly every other situation it's a total pain in the arse. Another thing I now disable by default when I set off.

Still loving the car. Makes an amazing tow car, very comfortable cruiser, eats up miles and ticks all the family/towcar boxes I wanted it to.
All my whinges (bar the stop start) are holes in systems I'd rather have than not have at all. They just need some improvement.

I also bought and fit a Travall dog guard. Got it used but in mint condition from ebay for £80. It's the same guard they advertise in the Touareg accessories brochure but Travall sell it direct for about £20 more than VW advertise. However £80 used works for me.
We don't have a dog but do have a need to stack the boot to the rafters.
I'd have preferred the load net that was available for the previous generation but no such thing exists for the T5.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just got my car back from it's oil service. Annual event as I don't do a huge mileage.
Plumbed for the 2 year service plan as it was 25% off, £444 for this and following year's service.

Quite timely for it to occur but over the last week I'd had three occasions on starting up of various front assist systems failing. Turn off and back on again and it would clear. Loads of reports from other owners of front assist (or parts of front assist, mostly ACC) falling over, both towing and not. First time it's happened to me. I'd actually ignored it as it was frosty both times it failed and I assumed the frost was the cause so hadn't mentioned it to the garage.
They had logged the error and the fact they couldn't clear the error but said the fault cleared on a test drive so were going to hand it back to me with an advisory that there were two relevant updates and I should have it done at some point.
I quizzed why they hadn't just run the updates anyway, was told it would need to be rebooked and I was too busy to argue the toss. To be fair to them they called back a half hour later saying front assist had failed again when they moved it to valet (sanitize in new covid-speak) it.
Kept it overnight and I got it back tonight. The paperwork they've given me is just the Lookers service records, they haven't printed the VW service sheet so I don't have the TSBs but will ask for them to send me the updated service sheet.

From what I understand, one update was for the front camera, the other I'm not sure. Took them about 6 hours to complete the update.
Other owner on ClubT notes three TSBs for the same problem:
2054001/2
2054374/4
2060938/3

Separate note, I see from the inspection sheet that checking the sunroof drains is listed..

·
Super Moderator
15,923 Posts
It seems that the service relating to the T5 is as poor as previous models and not to do essential updates whilst the car was in for service is shocking but not entirely unexpected. I’d be contacting VW Customer Care and asking what is the point of buying a Treg and sticking with dealer servicing if they ignore manufacturers updates when carrying out routine work 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I tend to pick my fights these days. They did it in the end so nothing really worth fighting over.
I've just come out the other side of a two week battle with John Lewis customer services over a fake xmas tree sent with the wrong base.. That was 6 hours of my precious time wasted on phone calls and emails... Upside of that is I hate fake trees..

• Haha
Reactions: Cass

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Code for the GFF Guided functions driver assist systems update - 2054374/4

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
21 - 36 of 36 Posts