Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 model year Touareg is a few days over 6 years old - it's only done 45,000 miles having stood idle in 2018 when I was ill and 2020 due to lockdown. My BM2 battery monitor seems to indicate that it's not holding charge very well and I've had a couple of occasions when the key fob failed to lock the car so I'm guessing a new battery would be a good idea as well as replacing the key fob batteries.

Do any members have recommendations for the battery? I'm minded to replace with a bigger battery as the car isn't used regularly and already know that a longer cable would be needed.

I searched Club Touareg but couldn't get a definitive answer whether the T4 seat will tilt after removing 2 front bolts or whether 4 bolts need to be removed from the seat slides.

I gather that "triple square" sockets aren't the same as Torx so any info on sizes/types for T4 seat bolts would be appreciated.

·
Chairman
20,138 Posts
Nice to see you posting BG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I looked at changing my battery a year ago and eventually decided to let ATS Euromaster replace like for like. £199.00 for the battery and fitting. My 2015 has only 35000miles due to being a second car and lock down and sits outside without a battery tender. All good so far.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I understand it, the OE fitment for a 2016 3.0 TDI is UK size 019 but there may be space to fit a 020 - I also gather from Club Touareg that T1/T2 needed a longer positive battery cable when the very largest was fitted, I don't know if this is the same for the T3/T4 so I'm not sure whether to stick to standard size or not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 2016 model year Touareg is a few days over 6 years old - it's only done 45,000 miles having stood idle in 2018 when I was ill and 2020 due to lockdown. My BM2 battery monitor seems to indicate that it's not holding charge very well and I've had a couple of occasions when the key fob failed to lock the car so I'm guessing a new battery would be a good idea as well as replacing the key fob batteries.

Do any members have recommendations for the battery? I'm minded to replace with a bigger battery as the car isn't used regularly and already know that a longer cable would be needed.

I searched Club Touareg but couldn't get a definitive answer whether the T4 seat will tilt after removing 2 front bolts or whether 4 bolts need to be removed from the seat slides.

I gather that "triple square" sockets aren't the same as Torx so any info on sizes/types for T4 seat bolts would be appreciated.
The seat on my 2014 T3 does not tilt standard cricket leather type. I fitted an 020 Exide (took half an hour) supplied by Tayna £140 delivered. I would rather keep £60 and undo 4 bolts myself. I am a stingy old git though.

020 AGM Car Batteries (tayna.co.uk)

·
Mechanical Guru
2,919 Posts
The seat on my 2014 T3 does not tilt standard cricket leather type.
Ignore the runner bolts.. there are two bolts at the front of the hight mechanism that you remove and then the seat can tilt backward.

·
Mechanical Guru
2,919 Posts

·
275 Posts

After reading your post I was more interested in the BM2 battery monitor. I now have 2 and think they are brilliant. The one on the Touareg reported a low cranking voltage of less than 9v, so new varta AGM 020 purchased which I will fit tomorrow. The battery installed is the original so coming up to 8 years old, I’d rather replace now so I know the battery is good and will handle cold starts when the cold weather arrives.

·
Lifelong Motorhead
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After reading your post I was more interested in the BM2 battery monitor. I now have 2 and think they are brilliant. The one on the Touareg reported a low cranking voltage of less than 9v, so new varta AGM 020 purchased which I will fit tomorrow. The battery installed is the original so coming up to 8 years old, I’d rather replace now so I know the battery is good and will handle cold starts when the cold weather arrives.
I've given up on the BM2 - it seemed to be running the battery down even faster and the app on my phone was certainly hitting its battery life.

·
275 Posts
After installing a new Varta agm battery my bm2 has given a low cranking alert of 9.45v this morning. (Cold morning) Now to me this seems quite low for a brand new battery.

In the morning I can connect to the bm2 before I unlock the car and the voltage will go from 12.6 to 12.0v after I have opened the door. Again this seems low for a new battery.

·
Registered
189 Posts
After much research having initially bought the wrong one from Halfords during early 2020 lock-down I replaced mine for a YBX9020 Yuasa from Tayna for £229 inc delivery - I have just checked their website and seem a tad cheaper @ £217 - YBX9020 Yuasa AGM Start Stop Car Battery 12V 105Ah

An excellent battery but a pig of an install - and its disc-slipping HEAVY .......beware!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts