Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let me start off by saying I know similar discussions exist, but I want to make sure I am not crazy!!

This started with a whining from the front end of my 2012 Touareg 3.0 TDI Sport with ~150k+ miles. The whine started out only happening around 30 MPH while mostly decelerating. Over the past couple of months the sound has progressed into higher speeds. I can upshift/downshift to change RPMs, but the whine does not alter. I can shift into neutral, and the sound still persists. I went ahead and replaced the front wheel bearings out of precaution (150k miles after all). The sound never changed while turning, and continues after the bearing replacement. The upfront whine appears to be purely based on speed.

After a lot of reading, and listening, it appeared the sound came from the front differential. Both the front diff and transfer case fluid was changed. Neither had metal flakes or were overly dark. I read the T3 didn't have the same issues as the T1-T2, but the diff was still of some concern.

I bit the bullet and bought a used diff from a cayenne with 81k miles. No idea of the Cayenne's history $1000 and a couple of days of labor and I finally have the new part in (along with a nice fresh rust coat on the front sub frame). Went for a test drive and the whine is still there.. is it better?? is it different?? I cant say, but it is definitely coming front the same place. COULD I HAVE JUST REPLACED ONE BAD DIFF WITH ANOTHER BAD DIFF??

I am not sure if this new sound shift happened before or only after, but again the whine stared at about 30, and is worse when decelerating. And also appears to shift from more of the front left side around 30mph to the right around 60mph.

I couldn't find much for rebuilding the T3 front diff (0BM409505L) as I would have preferred this over replacing with a potentially bad one.

I did open the only old diff and didn't find much. I do need to look at the earing races better, but one tapered roller bearing outer race was separated from the rest of the bearing. Would this cause the whine? The outer tapered roller bearing race starting to spin making?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
Hi Wierbo and welcome to myTreg.com

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (year and model are a good start) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues. Your location (in your profile) is useful so that members don't recommend services you can't get to.

You might also like to register with Club Touareg which is a US based site as your models and specifications have some differences from UK/European models.
Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response - it will also be searchable so ensure that the title of the thread reflects the issue. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Have a read of this topic as it will familiarise you with common options you will use during the ownership of your vehicle.

Why not add a marker where you are located to the 'Touareg Map of the World' as well.

Please read the Announcements in the New Members Section which includes instructions on how to add photographs/images to posts and your My Gallery area.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let me start off by saying I know similar discussions exist, but I want to make sure I am not crazy!!

This started with a whining from the front end of my 2012 Touareg 3.0 TDI Sport with ~150k+ miles. The whine started out only happening around 30 MPH while mostly decelerating. Over the past couple of months the sound has progressed into higher speeds. I can upshift/downshift to change RPMs, but the whine does not alter. I can shift into neutral, and the sound still persists. I went ahead and replaced the front wheel bearings out of precaution (150k miles after all). The sound never changed while turning, and continues after the bearing replacement. The upfront whine appears to be purely based on speed.

After a lot of reading, and listening, it appeared the sound came from the front differential. Both the front diff and transfer case fluid was changed. Neither had metal flakes or were overly dark. I read the T3 didn't have the same issues as the T1-T2, but the diff was still of some concern.

I bit the bullet and bought a used diff from a cayenne with 81k miles. No idea of the Cayenne's history $1000 and a couple of days of labor and I finally have the new part in (along with a nice fresh rust coat on the front sub frame). Went for a test drive and the whine is still there.. is it better?? is it different?? I cant say, but it is definitely coming front the same place. COULD I HAVE JUST REPLACED ONE BAD DIFF WITH ANOTHER BAD DIFF??

I am not sure if this new sound shift happened before or only after, but again the whine stared at about 30, and is worse when decelerating. And also appears to shift from more of the front left side around 30mph to the right around 60mph.

I couldn't find much for rebuilding the T3 front diff (0BM409505L) as I would have preferred this over replacing with a potentially bad one.

I did open the only old diff and didn't find much. I do need to look at the earing races better, but one tapered roller bearing outer race was separated from the rest of the bearing. Would this cause the whine? The outer tapered roller bearing race starting to spin making?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
On a previous car there was a whine from the gearbox. I added a dose of Molyslip and it vanished never to return. Maybe try a dose in the diffs? (not in the autobox!!) Noises in cars often sound like not where they are coming from.

·
Super Moderator
15,628 Posts
Hi Djonemore and welcome to myTreg.com

Please remember to provide some details about your vehicle (year and model are a good start) in your signature as it helps the members answer your questions with model specific issues. Your location (in your profile) is useful so that members don't recommend services you can't get to.

As you are a new member from 'Over the Pond' you might also like to register with Club Touareg which is a US based site, although we are very happy to host you here.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

To search use google with; [site:www.mytreg.com <search words>] for your questions as they may have been asked before, please beware that the site search needs 4 or more letter words, (no limit with the Google search).

Please post your question once in the appropriate discussion forum appropriate to your model and use the topic title & description to briefly summarise the problem. This will assist others and provide for a quicker response - it will also be searchable so ensure that the title of the thread reflects the issue. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

New members and guests can use the 'View New Content' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar, as a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were last on the forum.

Have a read of this topic as it will familiarise you with common options you will use during the ownership of your vehicle.

Please read the Announcements in the New Members Section which includes instructions on how to add photographs/images to posts and your My Gallery area.

Finally we often recommend the value of a good aftermarket warranty, please read the warranty forum area for our experience and advice.

Kind Regards
The Admin Team.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts