Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time poster here. Wife has a 2006 Touareg diesel and I’m having an issue starting it. While attempting to start the vehicle it will crank for a few seconds and then stop trying to crank completely. The battery read a little low so I hooked it up to my other vehicle and the problem still persisted. There are no codes or fault lights. I find it odd that the vehicle will stop cranking after a second or two but I’m not sure what would cause this. Any thoughts? Tia

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
2.5, 3.0 or 5.0?

Reactions: TregDad

·
Registered
168 Posts
My first thought would be to fully charge the battery on a decent smart charger.

Then scan it with VCDS and see what is logged.

Odd electrical faults can be nothing more than a low state of charge or an old failing battery.

Check/charge/replace the battery and take it from there. Avoid jump leads imho.

Start with the basics. I would be looking at the earth straps from the engine to the body on a 16 year old vehicle. Possibly a crank shaft sensor as it has been mentioned before with similar symptoms. If the sensor is faulty it fools the ECU to think it has started which cuts off the starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first thought would be to fully charge the battery on a decent smart charger.

Then scan it with VCDS and see what is logged.

Odd electrical faults can be nothing more than a low state of charge or an old failing battery.

Check/charge/replace the battery and take it from there. Avoid jump leads imho.

Start with the basics. I would be looking at the earth straps from the engine to the body on a 16 year old vehicle. Possibly a crank shaft sensor as it has been mentioned before with similar symptoms. If the sensor is faulty it fools the ECU to think it has started which cuts off the starter.
Thank you for the insight. I replaced the battery today, the issue still persists. I think the crank shaft sensor will be next.

·
Super Moderator
15,928 Posts
There have been instances where replacing the starter cures the his - check previous threads on the site 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone following or with a similar issue. I replaced the crankshaft sensor and it started right up. Managed to replace it while the treg was sitting on level ground. Bit of a PITA.

·
Chairman
20,203 Posts
Yes, always good to get a result posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts