Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner

2003 touareg immobilizer activated problem

10197 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  cashis0514
Hi all having a problem with my touareg i just brought
The story of the car

Car has been sitting in a workshop for around 2 years waiting for the work to be done garage is closed so i brought the car so the problems are mine now

1:- First thing the battery was dead as you would expect after 2 years so changed the battery

2:- Garage lost the key so had to use the spare

3:- Car only has basic electrical items working side lights, interior lighting, central locking off the door (not key)

4:- When you put the key in the ignition you get a immobilizer activated on the dashboard but no secondary power

5:- Had a key doctor in to read the car but cannot do it as it needs power to the ignition

6:- There is no steering lock wheel turns even without key in the ignition

Read through loads of searches on google but can't find exactly the problem any body on here who can help me please
Thanks
David
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Never had to do anything like this......it's likely going to be a nightmare to sort out without any vehicle history.....

Has it had ecu swopped or instrument cluster? do you have confirmed original keys? have you got vehicle PIN?

Some reading here with links within... http://wiki.ross-tec...php/Immobilizer
Never had to do anything like this......it's likely going to be a nightmare to sort out without any vehicle history.....

Has it had ecu swopped or instrument cluster? do you have confirmed original keys? have you got vehicle PIN?

Some reading here with links within... http://wiki.ross-tec...php/Immobilizer
I was thinking the same, does sound like terminal 12 relay not working as the aux power side is not coming alive with ignition.
Might be one of the main fuses under the passenger seat.
share which model ?
This thread could run and run - brave man or mad man

Good luck though - try a new battery and a full VCDS scan as a starter
See less See more
6:- There is no steering lock wheel turns even without key in the ignition
Read this
http://vwts.ru/electro/touareg/tou_94-10.pdf

Google Search for touareg electrical starting system , for more reading material

The fact that the steering is not locked suggests as a minimum that there is a problem with the E415 swictch, which may have been forced at some point to move the car.

Good luck, sounds like an uphill task.
Its the 2.5 tdi model

So far i have checked the following

Checked the terminal 15 relay (433) under the passenger seat next to the battery that was working

The fuses around the battery they are all ok also the trip switch is showing the coil so not that

Checked the both dashboard sides fuses all ok

Checked the fuse box under the bonnet passenger side by the scuttle panel

Key man came cant power the ignition to try and program the key waiting for him to come back tomorrow said he thinks he knows a way to do it now

All i know about the car is it that it went in the garage around 2 years ago down on power not even spoke to the previous owner for full description as it was brought as is through somebody else

Its a hard one by the looks of it i don't really want to break it up for parts but if he can't get into it tomorrow then i can't see what else to do with it really
See less See more
No clocks ECU have been touched the car was starting with the key it went into the garage with but they cant find where the key is now

Are there any fuses under the drivers seat can see a ECU there and a box under the ECU but don't really want to take anything out

There are some releys and small fuse box under the steering wheel fuses was ok but not taken the cover off to check under there yet
You need to see if the car will take a VCDS scan, Which it may not if you cant get ignition on, but worth a try. Maybe someone on here not too far away can help you.
Ordinary fault code scanners are just not good enough, only VCDS will really identify any deep rooted issues.

Log all the faults and then clear them.

Faults such as "supply voltage - lower limit exceeded" will pop up everywhere- these are a result of a dead battery, and you will probably get a steering angle sensor fault too. This clears when the car is actually mobile.

Good luck, as a Treg owner for 10 years I wouldn't want to have to figure this one out!
No clocks ECU have been touched the car was starting with the key it went into the garage with but they cant find where the key is now

Are there any fuses under the drivers seat can see a ECU there and a box under the ECU but don't really want to take anything out

There are some releys and small fuse box under the steering wheel fuses was ok but not taken the cover off to check under there yet
Yeah not looking good at the moment give it a try but if not i will just have to break it for parts but i wanted one for years its got a week or 2 before i start to break it as i need the room
Been let down with one person to do the key got somebody coming next week so can't do any thing till then took the ignition barrel out checked to see if power getting there that was ok and then checked the ODB port that is getting power as well so i think it is the key not responding and needs re-coding that will give me the power to ignition 2 with a bit of luck
Just to update every one i know its annoying when somebody finds the problem and does not say what it was

Had a key doctor come out and he said the ECU was in sleep mode

He tried to wake it up through fuse 26 and other methods but it did not respond

In the end he took out the kessy module and downloaded the data to a laptop then changed a chip cut a new key re wrote the data installed it back on then plugged it back in started first time then reprogrammed the old key into the car

If anybody needs more info if there stuck with a similar problem just message me i can try and help you out or if you are local (South Wales)i can give you the key doctors number as he is very skilled and very well recommended by my self
Well done, glad you got sorted.

How much did he charge and was the new key a multi-function one or just a simple key for the door and the ignition?
Well done, glad you got sorted.

How much did he charge and was the new key a multi-function one or just a simple key for the door and the ignition?
Hi it was a simple key but when he got into the ECU he re programmed the original key cost was £130 he knew his stuff and a top bloke as well
Well done. You need a detective hat!
Glad you got it all sorted. How is the car running?
Reactions: 1
I knew there was a issue with it its running low on power and something is down either a injector, valves, compression ?? got to get it plugged in now too see what it says there are loads of codes to reset due to power loss plug it in tomorrow may just sell it as it is as i got a VW T5 with the same engine and that's also giving me a headache so not a lover of the R5 2.5 engine
Just to update every one i know its annoying when somebody finds the problem and does not say what it was

Had a key doctor come out and he said the ECU was in sleep mode

He tried to wake it up through fuse 26 and other methods but it did not respond

In the end he took out the kessy module and downloaded the data to a laptop then changed a chip cut a new key re wrote the data installed it back on then plugged it back in started first time then reprogrammed the old key into the car

If anybody needs more info if there stuck with a similar problem just message me i can try and help you out or if you are local (South Wales)i can give you the key doctors number as he is very skilled and very well recommended by my self
Please let me know what it is that you did my Touareg is doing the same thing
1 - 17 of 17 Posts