Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Yes, I'm bloody fuming! After a good deal with my local tyre company for 4 Grabber UHPs, the monkey of a fitter has managed to scratch the face of 3 of 4 wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To say I'm ****ed off is an understatement!

However they have agreed to refurb all 4 wheels.

Now here's the problem. The Ayres Rock alloys have a nice polished face on the front, but apparently this is almost impossible to refurb. Meaning the only option is for the whole wheel to be sprayed.

Has anyone had these wheels refurbed before? And did you have to get them painted?

Thanks

Simo

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Hi

Not done mine yet, however did enquire and was told the whole wheels needs respraying - I need all four done and haven't got round to it yet

Kaine

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kaine,

I'm looking into it and its not looking good.

Might see how the 'corrosion' is on them though as I'm still under warranty! ;o)

·
Chairman
19,976 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Any decent refurb company should be able to get a good finish on the alloys, but to get them to a factory finish, you need to do some research locally and see if there is a good repairer in your area. You will need to factor in the requirement to remove the tyres and have new valves and the tyres refitted as well as balanced. If you need to send the wheels away, the tyres will have to be removed first and you will be without the car for the duration.

Don't fret, this is an easy task for a good, reputable company and don't settle for second best (or the cheapest) in search of a good refurb.

I personally hate having new tyres fitted and the only company I ever use knows I am anal on this issue and ensure they do a perfect job. I've even stood over them and watched them very closely (especially with my old Porker alloys)

Just had all 4 alloys replaced on the wife's Aygo and got 2 new tyres fitted - perfect job

Cass

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Just done a quick search through my old GTI forum and there are 2 companies who are well recommended as the Monza II alloys on the GTI are notorious for being difficult to repair to a factory finish:

Spit and Polish in Kent: http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/

Pristine of Milton Keynes: http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk/

Your car might be off the road a tad longer using a national company as opposed to local, but personally I would rather have this inconvenience and a quality job done on them

By the way, if this was my car, I'd have insisted on new, like for like replacement (and I ain't joking)

Cass

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the tips guys!

The tyre company are paying for it so I dont care where or how much it costs!
)

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Pristine will do a swap if they have a set of ayres partially refurbished. What happens is the tyre company rings up pristine. They will finish the refurbishment and send the alloys to the tyre company, who duly fit them unto your vehicle. Your old alloys are sent back to pristine and the process is repeated. Otherwise your vehicle is kept offroad until your old alloys are refurbished unless you have another set of alloys to keep you mobile.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all!

I'll post some pictures of the finished refurb, if people are interested?

Simo

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RESULT!!!

Managed to pick out some corosion on all 4 wheels, VW replacing all 4 on Tuesday, AND 300 quid refund from the tyre shop!

4 new alloys, 4 news tyres all for ?140 in the end! Thanks you tyre company for screwing up my wheels!
)

If you're still under warranty, definitely check your wheels and seek replacements before it runs out!

Simoi

·
Super Moderator
15,682 Posts
Great, what a result for you

Bit surprised that the dealer didn't haggle over the tyre fitter damage, but I have experienced 'marginal' warranty work recently from another manufacturer - blame the credit crunch methinks and more power to the consumer. Not before timethough

Wonder what happens to all those returned alloys - had alot of experience of this with my last few cars.

Cass

1 - 11 of 11 Posts