Volkswagen Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Includes new spark plugs, oils, all filters except pollen, brake fluid change and anitfreeze change too.

Nationwide Autocentre, High Wycombe [God only knows why but Slough is ?20 more].

And you can have it done on a Saturday too.

Waiting to hear from Windrush if they'll price match - or at least get close!!

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
VW still have like for like pricematch deals on their website as long as the other garage is within 5 miles of the dealership.

Great price though - no brake fluid change or is it now 3 years ?

Cass

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry its ?260.

I forgot the extra ?20 for for synthetic oil.

A brake fluid change is included as it seems to be required every 2 years.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Yes 2 yrs for older ones but new ones say 3 yrs for brake fluid (do you think the fluid has changed or is this just agreat reason by VW to visist the dealer in year 3 prior to the MOT time..)

Cas

·
1,307 Posts
is it not 3 yrs before first fluid change then every two yrs there after????

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stu said:
Why would it be different for the first period?

As I understand it, the reason for changing brake fluid is because it is hydroscopic and absorbs water making it likely to boil at a lower temparature as well as causing corrosion, a particular problem for delicate ABS parts.

After 12 months, water content could be 2% and after 18 months 3%. at which point DOT 4 fluid's boiling point will be halved.

This is one of the problems with long life servicing which means cars aren't seen by a mechanic for 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
15,678 Posts
noobytoogy said:
This is one of the problems with long life servicing which means cars aren't seen by a mechanic for 2 years.
And why I'd presonally never buy a used car which was on the Longlife servicing regime :shock:

Cass

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Windrush have come back with an exceptional price [thank you, Adrian!] that considerably closes the gap [and includes the pollen filter] even if it doesn't match the cheapo [which I didn't expect them too!], so the old Treg will soon get another VW stamp at 70K!

·
1,307 Posts
hi all, i have just read the service shedule and what i said above is correct.

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose the fluid, when the car is brand new, is being put in a completely dry and uncontaminated system, but after the first change you can't be sure you've got every last drop of the old fluid out so they shorten the change period.

G

·
noobytoogy][quote=stu said:
Why would it be different for the first period?

As I understand it, the reason for changing brake fluid is because it is hydroscopic and absorbs water making it likely to boil at a lower temparature as well as causing corrosion, a particular problem for delicate ABS parts.

After 12 months, water content could be 2% and after 18 months 3%. at which point DOT 4 fluid's boiling point will be halved.

This is one of the problems with long life servicing which means cars aren't seen by a mechanic for 2 years.[/quote]

Shouldn't that be hygroscopic with a g - keen to get in first - before the Somerset English professor

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quite right. I'm now standing in the corner with the dunce's cap on!!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Hurrumph

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wurzel said:
Hurrumph must be the Zummerset spelling of Royal Berkshire's hArrumph!

·
'Ow bist?
1,084 Posts
Hurrumph (sic)

·
Chairman
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts